Monday, September 9, 2024

Mini Audiobook Reviews: Middle of the Night by Riley Sager & Four Minutes by Brian Andrews & Jeffrey Wilson

 

Middle of the Night by Riley Sager
Publication Date: June 18th  2024 by Penguin Audio
Pages: 367
Audio Book Length: 11hrs 22min
Narrator: Santino Fontana
Source: Publisher
Rating: 

My Thoughts:
Ten-year-old Ethan’s best friend Billy is taken in the middle of the night, from the tent they have pitched/camped in his parent’s back yard. Years later Ethan is still haunted by the event. Back at home thirty years later Ethan starts to feel Billy’s presence and strange things start happening, spurring Ethan into re-examining the events of that night and questioning the people who were present back then.
 
I wasn’t sure if there were paranormal things at work with the startling things happening. There were a few twists and revelations that were surprising, one I suspected. I think the story would’ve benefited from some editing down, as it felt a little drawn out, but the story was engrossing and at times spooky! I liked how it all turned out.
 
I had listened to Santino Fontana’s excellent performance of You by Caroline Kepnes in the past, so I was thrilled to find out he was the narrator. He did not disappoint! 4 Stars



Four Minutes by Brian Andrews & Jeffrey Wilson
Publication Date: January 1st 2024 by Blackstone Publishing
Pages: 356
Audio Book Length: 10hrs 53min
Narrator: Ray Porter
Source: Publisher
Rating: 

My Thoughts:
The premise of this story was mind bending! A secret US counterterrorism task force can jump into the future, within a thirty-day period, but can only stay for four minutes. To Tyler Brooks, the head of this special op, this has exciting implications. They can go and prevent attacks before they happen! There’s a threat and enemy that seems to elude them at every turn! Tyler and a select few have been drafted into this task force for special reasons which are revealed as the story goes along.  I liked the personal relationships that end up factoring into this exciting story! I grew to like each character on the team and I’m eagerly awaiting the next installment!
 
Four Minutes was an exciting thrill ride! The only drawback is that it ended in a cliffhanger, and I don’t see any information on book two!

Ray Porter's performance was strong and perfect for this military/action thriller! 4 Stars







13 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you liked this one. It's on my October reading list because that's when I always want some spookier, more suspenseful books to read. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be perfect for then! I've been looking at scarier books to read for the fall, too! :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed Middle of the Night. I felt obligated to read it since I share a name with the main character haha. It was a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already had Middle of the Night on my radar, but an interesting time travel spec ops thriller sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really loved Four Minutes! IT was a fast, thrilling listen! I can't wait for the next one!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear they were both good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, both sound good. I am nervous about that cliffhanger...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating! I have yet to try this author.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  7. The premise for that second book is so specific, but I bet that challenge can make for some interesting events.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice minireviews :) Short and perfect

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like a good thriller, Rachel, but I am not a fan of cliffhangers. Hopefully there will be another book.

    ReplyDelete