Sunday, September 8, 2024

Sunday Post #263

 


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer book blog, and is a post to recap my bookish and non-bookish things from the last week. I'm also linking up to The Sunday Salon hosted by Deb Nance @Readerbuzz.

Got back from Idaho on Monday and was happy to be home. Summer decided to have it's last hurrah with a couple of days of 100 degree weather. We've cooled down now and it's supposed to be beautiful this week! I planted some seeds for a fall crop: Little Gem Lettuce, radishes, green onions, Swiss Chard, and arugula. My zucchini, cucumber, summer squash, and peppers are cranking out. My tomatoes are finally starting to produce more than a trickle. I think the severe heat stunted their growth. My zinnias and roses are doing really well. I have zinnias all over the house! 


My panicle hydrangea has an abundance of blooms and I'm drying some for my sister:


We went for drinks and dinner at the historic Holbrook Hotel downtown Grass Valley. It's been operating since the 1800s and has hosted a several famous guests including a few US Presidents over the years. Their drinks are yummy and they have a good happy hour.



Read:
(Click on cover for Goodreads link)


Cold Curses by Chloe Neil: 4 Stars
The Hollows by Mark Edwards: 3.5 Stars
The Mystery Guest by Nita Prose: 4 Stars
Christmas at Sugar Plum Manor by Roseanna M. White: 4 Stars

It was a good reading week. My standouts were The Mystery Guest, (oh how I love Molly the maid!) and How to Age Disgracefully, which was so clever and had me laughing a bunch! The story had a moving emotional depth that had me worried and rooting for all the characters! Daphne was a rockstar! I finally listened to The Hollow after having downloaded it from Kindle Unlimited over a year ago. Lark said to skip the epilogue as it was annoying, but I got curious and listened to it anyhow. Should've listened to her, lol! Typical horror movie/story ending with that last little twist that makes if feel like the bad things aren't as resolved as you hoped.

Received:


Thank you to Macmillan Audio, Poisoned Pen Press and Berkley!

Instagram:

Peanut graciously allowed me to use his image for this post. I think he's pretty photogenic! 






How was your week?



35 comments:

  1. That drink looks tasty!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your zinnias are beautiful. How wonderful that your house is filled with them right now.

    I just put in a request for We'll Prescribe You a Cat and How to Age Disgracefully since you liked both of them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Flowers make me happy! I hope you enjoy We'll Prescribe You a Cat. It's different. How to Age Disgracefully was such fun! I look forward to your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. You have a talent with the gardening and you haven't been there too long. It is good to be home a bit. I love Molly, just got her holiday novella.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel so talented with my garden. The tomatoes have hardly produced and it's just now that the zucchini, summer squash and cucumbers have started cranking out. I'm not sure if it was when I planted or the extreme heat we had. It is nice to be home! I am a homebody at heart. I need to look up that novella!

      Delete
  4. Awww look at Peanut's sweet face! And your zinnias are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garden vegetables seem a big accomplishment to me, whenever they start producing. Especially home-grown tomatoes!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is really producing! I am interested in The Sequel as I finihsed the Plot and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, finally it's coming along after a weak summer production. I need to refresh my memory a bit with The Plot. I remember bits and pieces, and I remembered enjoying it and the twist!

      Delete
  7. Yeah, the epilogue of The Hollows was completely annoying. I'm sorry I ever read it. And I agree, Molly the maid is great. :D I love your zinnias, they're so beautiful. And we've been getting chard all summer which has been lovely. I hope your fall crop of lettuce and chard is deliciously abundant. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was unnecessary! I hope she got caught! I feel like Edwards was going for the classic horror movie last scene. Thank you! I hope so, too! :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful flowers! Love the cat picture too, that's perfect for that book! I want to read the Jenna Levine book too. Hope those 100 temps are gone now for you! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the super hot days are gone for this year. We have a cool week and possible rain, too. Hope we both love Levine's book! I look forward to your thoughts. Thanks, Lisa! You too!

      Delete
  9. You and your green thumb have quite a bumper crop to enjoy. I loved getting fresh food from my grandparents' yard as a kid. I never thought it got that hot in Northern California. That's miserable. Glad it cooled off. And Daphne was a rockstar. Her story was amazing. Pooley is a must read author for me at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we're more inland so we get hot temps in the summer. We were in Idaho last week and it was pretty hot there, too. I need to check Pooley's backlist.

      Delete
  10. I am hoping for cooler weather in a day or two. Something below 100 would be nice! Your flowers are beautiful. I came home today and found flowers sitting on my doorstep. Someone sent me a really pretty bouquet. :-) Looks like you read some great books. I really enjoyed Cold Curses too. I haven't read your other current reads, but most are on my wish list or TBR. I hope you enjoy the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a cooldown with all those fires where you are! I love getting flowers. Thanks! I hope you enjoyed your week, as well!

      Delete
  11. Glad you had a good time and got back safely from your trip. Whew, summer came back with a vengeance this week for us, too. Your garden plantings sound good and love the beautiful blooms your getting. I need to try the Molly the Maid series.

    Have a good week, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've cooled down considerably. I think we'll only have a few more warm days and then fall will be here. I think you'd love Molly the Maid, Sophia!

      Delete
  12. I hope to get back to working in my yard next year. Your flowers are so pretty! I love Molly the Maid! I am excited to listen to the upcoming novella soon. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had beautiful flowers in your garden, Carole. I hope you post some pictures. I just heard of the novella and I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  13. Your garden sounds wonderful. I love little gem lettuce. And zucchini. And cucumbers. :) I admire those who have the know-how and desire to garden. I have neither. LOL Dinner at the hotel looked fabulous. The outside looked beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! I feel like I'm winging it with the garden. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't, lol! The Holbrook is a neat spot!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful flowers. Looks like our summer has also called it quits. It's raining this week, but not too cold yet. I love that Chloe Neill series a lot. Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, fall is definitely in the air. I think we still have some warm days. Not hot, but warm. The weather has really been lovely!

      Delete
  15. Looks like a neat old hotel in Grass Valley ... I have not been that far north in Calif yet ... but I went to Yosemite once. Seems like a beautiful area around Grass Valley ... with much to explore. Pretty flowers, nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really neat, historic hotel! It is pretty and yes, we still have a lot to explore out here. Thank you, Susan!

      Delete
  16. Such beautiful flowers, Rachel. I still need to read How to Age Disgracefully, it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete