Monday, February 16, 2015

Review: Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase


Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins
Tough minded Jessica Trent's sole intention is to free her nitwit brother from the destructive influence of Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain. She never expects to desire the arrogant, amoral cad. And When Dain's reciprocal passion places them in a scandously compromising, and public, position, Jessica is left with no choice but to seek satisfaction…

Damn the minx for tempting him, kissing him...and then for forcing him to salvage her reputation! Lord Dain can't wait to put the infuriating bluestocking in her place -- and in some amorous position. And if this means marriage, so be it -- though Sebastian is less than certain he can continue to remain aloof...and stell his heart to the sensuous, head strong lady's considerable charms.
My Thoughts
After going through a series of books where the experience was beginning to feel the same, I knew it was time to shock my reading palette with a genre I haven’t tried in a while. Historical romances are definitely not my go-to genre as of late, and it hasn’t been so for many years, but I kept hearing that Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase was the way to go, and my book friends were right.

It took a bit to get into the cadence of this story because of the setting, language and habits of the 1800’s, but after a few chapters of mingling with the characters and their customs, it was definitely fun and enjoyable.

Sebastian Ballister, the Marquess of Dain, is probably the original tortured handsome soul of his time. He was raised by his cruel father after being abandoned by his mother. Growing up, he was mocked, tortured and ridiculed, which stands to reason why he finds it difficult to break down his defensive barrier. However, he’s no match for the likes of Jessica Trent, and when she crosses his path all hell breaks loose. Let the fun begin!

This story was a perfect balance of fun, romantic and sincere. The best part for me was the chemistry and dialogue between Dain and Jessica. Witty, sarcastic, dry sense of humor characters are my favorite brand of entertainment. I love dialogue driven stories and when I couple that with two characters that fit perfectly together, it’s a perfect reading experience.

“There have been times I’ve been convinced I didn’t marry a female, but an incendiary device. This at least makes sense.”
Jessica and Dain go through rounds and rounds of word sparing. At times when there’s a bit of name calling, you never lose sight of their affection for each other so it ends up being downright funny and entertaining. I really enjoyed these two characters and I’d love to dive into a similar type of novel. Enjoyed it much! 
4 Suns
- Read a book published more than 10 years ago. Orginally published 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment