Friday, July 12, 2019

Review: You'd Be Mine by Erin Hahn


Publication Date: April 2nd 2019 by Wednesday Books
Pages: 281
Source: Library Lend Audio Book
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Audible

About the book:

Annie Mathers is America’s sweetheart and heir to a country music legacy full of all the things her Gran warned her about. Superstar Clay Coolidge is most definitely going to end up one of those things.

But unfortunately for Clay, if he can’t convince Annie to join his summer tour, his music label is going to drop him. That’s what happens when your bad boy image turns into bad boy reality. Annie has been avoiding the spotlight after her parents’ tragic death, except on her skyrocketing YouTube channel. Clay’s label wants to land Annie, and Clay has to make it happen.

Swayed by Clay’s undeniable charm and good looks, Annie and her band agree to join the tour. From the start fans want them to be more than just tour mates, and Annie and Clay can’t help but wonder if the fans are right. But if there’s one part of fame Annie wants nothing to do with, it’s a high-profile relationship. She had a front row seat to her parents’ volatile marriage and isn’t interested in repeating history. If only she could convince her heart that Clay, with his painful past and head over heels inducing tenor, isn’t worth the risk.

My Thoughts:
Clay and Annie had an instant bond, sharing a passion for music, each very talented, which made it easy for them to fall for each other.  I loved when they performed together, you could feel the chemistry sparking between them, and I thought the lyrics were really good! Annie’s little revenge song was a lot of fun, and well-deserved!

They’re tour wasn’t full of some of the things I dread with a rockstar romance (country music, here), like lots of drugs, meaningless sex, and alcohol, because I hate witnessing (reading about) a self-destructive, downward spiral.  While Clay did go through a bit of that it wasn’t as bad as it could’ve been.   Annie had her own issues thanks to famous country singing parents, ones who probably shouldn’t have had a child. 

I really enjoyed You’d Be Mine, and the fact that it was a mostly drama-free romance. I’m looking forward to more from Erin Hahn.  I listened to the audio, Emily Lawrence and Tristan Morris did a nice job performing, and I liked having male and female narrators. Although, I still don’t know why they don’t perform their parts throughout the book instead of doing all the voices (male and female) on their particular chapter.

4 Suns



4 comments:

  1. I like the sound of it cos yes I do not want to see a lot of self destruction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think this kind of music romance story should come with a soundtrack to listen to as you read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no real expectations for this book, and it impressed me. I'm with you when it comes to drama - less is more. I also like when the drama is outside of the couple, which I felt was the case here. It was cool the way Hahn paid homage to country music royalty as well. I will definitely read her next book

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stories that are focused on musicians! It's great when you feel like your witnessing the performance, and I enjoy it when the author includes lyrics. The revenge song sounds like it was a fun addition to the story! I'm with you on not enjoying when we see a downward spiral with sex, alcohol, and drugs. I'm glad this story didn't have those things. Wonderful Review Rachel :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete