Friday, July 14, 2023

Review: The Island Villa by Sarah Morgan

 

The Island Villa by Sarah Morgan
Publication Date: May 2nd 2023 by Canary Street Press
Pages: 384
Source: Publisher 
Rating: ½

My Thoughts:
Famous romance writer, Catherine Swift is getting married, for the fourth time, on the Greek island of Corfu. She invites her daughters to come and share this momentous occasion and to spend the summer there with her, as well. She hopes to mend fences with Adeline, and to have a second chance at being a family.  

Adeline can’t believe her mother is getting married for the fourth time! Hasn’t the last three been evidence enough that this is a bad idea? There’s no love lost between her and her mother. They’ve been estranged for years, and she’s not even close to her younger half-sister, Cassie, but she’s persuaded and can’t say no.

Cassie on the other hand is ecstatic. She’s so proud that her mother is taking a chance on love again and can’t wait to meet the mysterious groom. Both Adeline and Cassie are in for a shock.

I was immediately pulled into The Island Villa! We get a POV from all three woman: Catherine, Adeline and Cassie. My heart broke for Adeline, at the way her mother seemed to have thrown her to the side for her new family.

The island of Corfu sounded gorgeous, with it’s glittering blue sea and pastel cottages. The perfect place for a summer romance!

There’s a bit of romance for each of the women as well. Catherine’s was my favorite, but all made me happy!

The Island Villa filled me with such emotions for these women! I was outraged and hurt in Adeline’s behalf, and felt Cassie’s situation acutely. At first Catherine seemed like a self-absorbed woman, but as her story unfolds, I had a totally different opinion. Secrets are revealed opening the way up for healing, growth and love. I was all in!

 
4.5 Stars


Book Description:

A messy family drama and a steamy little romance unfold under the Mediterranean sun for the perfect summer escape…

Celebrated romance author Catherine Swift has topped the bestseller lists for decades, though her personal story hasn’t been quite so successful. Three failed marriages have left her relationship with her daughters strained, but that’s about to be rectified. Engaged yet again, Catherine is counting on this wedding to be what finally brings them together as a family, and she’ll do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Adeline doesn’t know what’s worse—that her mother is getting married a fourth time, or that she’s being guilted into witnessing the train wreck at Catherine’s luxury villa in Corfu. It brings back the pain of her parents’ split, of her mother’s infidelity and the baby that was the result. Not that she blames her half sister, Cassie, but then she’s never made an effort to know her, either.

Cassie, on the other hand, is thrilled by her mother’s news and admires Catherine’s resilience. She’s equally excited about meeting the mystery groom, and at the prospect of spending her summer in Corfu, where she can process a secret of her own she’s been keeping from everyone.

As Cassie and Adeline arrive on the island, they each have very different expectations of what this week will bring—they haven’t been entirely honest with their mother about their lives, either—but in the lead-up to the wedding, all will be revealed, for better or worse.


17 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful. Another book to add to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one but the sounds really good I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review! It sounds emotional.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. The island of Corfu is such a fun setting! And great for a fun summer read. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's now a place I'd like to visit. It sounded gorgeous! :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like there's a lot of healing to be done among these women! I already feel for Adeline. And what a fabulous setting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Adeline was the one I felt the most connection to and I wanted her to find resolution and happiness! The setting sounded amazing!

      Delete
  6. Happy to hear that you enjoyed such a wonderful author. I haven't read her, but I know how well she handles friendships and emotional portrayal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasing combination! Lots of layers. Morgan is an auto read for me at this point.

      Delete
  7. I like the sound of this - the setting and focus on family plus some romance. Sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think that I have ever read this author's work. I do like the sound of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cartoon cover looks a bit different than the usual ones. I like it

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds wonderful and I love the Greece setting!

    ReplyDelete