Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Review: Trapped in Yosemite by Dana Mentink

 

Trapped in Yosemite by Dana Mentink
Publication Date: February 27th 2024 by Harlequin Love Inspired Trade
Pages: 304
Source: Publisher
Rating: 

My Thoughts:
Stella’s in Yosemite to meet up with a client claiming to have tree damage. As a new arborist she’s eager for the job. However, when she shows up things don’t add up. Shots are fired and Stella runs for her life. Running into her ex-fiancé, Von Sharpe, is a shock, but all this must be put on the back burner when a major earthquake strikes. Stella is stunned both by the shooting and earthquake and beyond worried about her baby, Hannah, staying with her aunt.

Von Sharpe, an ex-military K-9 handler, is shocked when he comes upon his ex-fiancée on the side of the road, but answers can wait until they get to safety and escape the dangers caused by the massive earthquake. Landslides, flooding, sinkholes, not to mention a storm rolling in.

Trapped in Yosemite was an action-packed read with a lot of moving parts. A massive earthquake, a shooter in pursuit, and a desperate mother determined to reach her baby daughter in all the chaos. There’s also the drama of Stella and Von’s broken engagement and resultant pregnancy, something Von didn’t know about. Stella and Von’s romance had imploded previously because of immaturity and outside tragic events. I liked seeing them work out things as they tried to survive.

This mystery/romance/thriller is Christian Fiction, so faith and reliance on God is mentioned, but I didn’t find it overwhelming or preachy. More of an inspirational feature in the story. I loved that it was set in Yosemite, a place I’ve visited and hiked through multiple times. Being a native Californian I could easily picture the destruction brought on by the earthquake and aftershocks! The constant attempts on Stella’s life were a mystery and one I was eager to figure out!


4 Stars


Book Description:

When a massive earthquake levels the region, secrets and unknown dangers are exposed…

The ground in still-icy Yosemite National Park isn’t stable, and K-9 handler Von Sharpe fears the worst. But his worries are pushed aside when he sees an SUV viciously forced off the road…with his ex-fiancée at the wheel. It’s only when Stella Rivers steps out of the vehicle that the very ground under their feet cracks and breaks with the onslaught of a terrifying earthquake. 

When her meeting with a mysterious client is ambushed, Stella witnesses the man being gunned down by a sniper and becomes a target herself. With the threat of aftershocks triggering landslides and floods, the new mom has no choice but to run to save her baby girl—even if it means teaming up with the man who has no idea he fathered her child.

Trapped in a dangerously unstable wilderness with a killer closing in, Von and Stella are running out of time to get to safety. And every fissure reveals a new secret that will shake them to their foundation…


14 comments:

  1. I thought about this one but stopped because Christian fiction. Interesting that obviously she had a child out of wedlock in a Christian fiction. I do like K9 and national park settings.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind faith in books as long as it's not a big part of the story or preachy. I loved outdoorsy, survival types of stories and a K-9 made the story even more attractive to me.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is a lot of action. Sure to get the heart pumping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If not preachy then I can do it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yosemite was a familiar destination when I was growing up in NorCal so I will totally pounce on this one for that though I'm always wary of secret baby trope- sounds like that was a complicated situation though and not a huge part of the drama which I can handle.

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wary of the secret baby trope, too, but she meant to come clean. There were other issues at play that made it difficult for her to want to tackle the conversation making so I could understand where she was coming from and didn't hold it against her. Also, she came clean pretty quickly when she met up with him again.

      Delete
  5. Not my kind of book, though I loved ever visit I ever made to Yosemite, and I’m very sad that it’s now so crowded and difficult to visit.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've visited a lot over the years, even climbed Half Dome twice! It is discouraging that they make it so difficult to hike that trail now and the crowds are definitely a deterrent as well.

      Delete
  6. Oh! I want to go to Yosemite and would love to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yosemite is such a great setting! I love reading books that take place there. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yosemite is a wonderful place. But I dont want to be there during an earthquake. Glad you enjoyed this suspense novel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely enjoy a good K-9 story as well as romantic suspense. This one sounds like it has a lot going on, Rachel, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete