Sunday, March 29, 2015

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - Series Promo and Book Review

Image captures from Yahoo Images
Outlander fans get ready! The Starz series continues on April 4th, 2015.

In the spirit of getting ready for the continuation of this series, I'm excited to share a bit about the book, my review, and the series trailer. Enjoy!
Published July 26th 2005 by Dell Publishing Company
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord…1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire—and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.
My Thoughts
Outlander has been on my TBR for years! I’ve witnessed nothing but great reactions to this book and have meant to dive into it for some time. However, every time I picked up this 900-page novel, the task seemed a bit daunting. It wasn’t until I started watching the televised series that I knew I couldn’t hold off for much longer.

So my ultimate reaction? I wish I had read this sooner. I’m sure many avid readers say this a few times in their reading career and for me; this book had me asking myself, “Why did I wait so long?”

Simply put, Outlander is AMAZING! The story is filled with description narrative where Gabaldon does a masterful job of making sure the reader feels connected with the characters, time, and place. I could vividly image the Scottish Highlands and just about every encounter Jamie and Claire journeyed through together. The vividly detailed landscape made me feel like I was right there with the cast.

As for the characters, what an amazing cast! I absolutely fell in love with Jamie and Claire and I rooted them on from the beginning. There was one moment I struggled with, which was when Jamie gave Claire a thrashing, and I thought I wouldn’t be able to get over that part. I struggled, but I think I recovered enough for Jamie to gain my sympathy once again.


I’ve read very few time-travel books and in those few, I remember having to work at suspending my reality. Well, withOutlander, that element felt effortless. I believed the lore that supported this piece of the novel, but I worry about Claire traveling back to her time.

This story was filled with dangerous travels and constant conflict that I felt a bit spent upon finishing the story, but I’m hungry for more. I will definitely continue on with this journey to see where it takes Jamie and Claire. Wonderfully told novel that grabbed me from the beginning. Again… Absolutely amazing!
5 Suns

Series Tie-In Edition
Series Trailer
Let us know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Squee! Love this book and show! Can't wait until it returns next week! I can't believe how long they have made their fans wait :( Glad you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for Saturday too! Glad you're enjoying this as well Erika! :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait for the show to come back on!!! I am so excited. I am actually trying to read all the books in the series this year as part of my Outlander reading challenge. lol So far I have read the first one and loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Kay! I've read the first book and loved it. I'm going to just try and stay ahead of the TV series. Those books are HUGE! :)

      Delete