Friday, February 7, 2020

Review: Whiteout by Adriana Anders


Publication Date: January 28th 2020 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
Pages: 512 (with included novella)
Source: Publisher & purchased audio book
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & NobleKobo | Audible

About the book:

With a storm coming and a killer on the loose, every step could be their last...

Angel Smith is finally ready to leave Antarctica for a second chance at life. But on what was meant to be her last day, the remote research station she's been calling home is attacked. Hunted and scared, she and irritatingly gorgeous glaciologist Ford Cooper barely make it out with their lives...only to realize that in a place this remote, there's nowhere left to run.

Isolated with no power, no way to contact the outside world, and a madman on their heels, Angel and Ford must fight to survive in the most inhospitable--and beautiful--place on earth. But what starts as a partnership born of necessity quickly turns into an urgent connection that burns bright and hot. They both know there's little chance of making it out alive, and yet they are determined to weather the coming storm--no matter the cost.

My Thoughts:
Angel Smith is just about to end her time as the cook for Burke-Ruhe research base at the South Pole in Antarctica.  Winter is about to start and instead of all days they’ll switch to all nights and only a skeleton crew will be staying on, but before she can get on the plane the base is attacked leaving her and Ford Cooper stranded.  Now they must get to safety and survive in the harsh elements before their food runs out and before the bad guys hunt them down and finish them off.

Ford Cooper tried to keep his distance from Angel because of his intense attraction to her, because nothing could come of it, but now that they’re thrown together and on the run for their lives he doesn’t have much hope he’ll be able to resist her.

This was a thrilling, fast-paced, action filled read, and I loved every minute of it! At the beginning of the story Angel and Ford have a bit of an antagonistic relationship. Angel’s attracted to Ford, but thinks he hates her as all he does is scowl and avoid her as much as possible.  She doesn’t realize that he’s attracted to her as well and has some fears about getting together. Of course, when all hell breaks loose, and they’re thrown together under life and death circumstances they get close and the sparks fly! Very steamy when they weren’t running for their lives! I was just worried about them surviving long enough for the relationship to go anywhere and let me tell you it was pretty intense and shaky there for a while!

Adriana Anders is a new to me author, but I had a strong feeling I’d love Whiteout after giving her a try with Deep Blue, the prequel novella to Whiteout. The story features Zoe and Ford’s brother, Eric. It isn’t necessary to read before Whiteout, but it was a lot of fun and a quick read!  It’s still free on Amazon and Barnes & Noble, part of a bundle of novellas in Turn the Tide.

As a side note I alternately listened and read the story, and I really enjoyed Coleen Marlo's performance. She sort of reminded me of Lorelei King.

4.5 Suns




23 comments:

  1. This one has been getting great reviews and it does sound like a good story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, and I was super happy to love it with this being a new-to-me author. :)

      Delete
  2. This was one long adrenaline rush and I kept feeling so chilled just reading about the setting. LOL
    Oooh, that narrator does sound like a good one, Rachel. I'll have to try the audios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The setting was so extreme, but I do love those life and death scenarios! You should! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, being a cook in Antarctica would sure be different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? But it does sound like a fun gig if you wanted to get away from your life which is what Angel wanted to do. I'd love to have the courage to take such a leap. :)

      Delete
  4. I seldom read romantic suspense, but I have been seeing a lot of good reviews for this book. I am most interested in it for the setting. That's a unique one for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This out of your comfort zone, Sam. Lol. I do love survival type stories where the characters are fighting to stay alive so this was perfect for me. :)

      Delete
  5. I've been seeing this one around a lot this week and it sounds like such a thrilling read! This isn't even my genre of choice, but the way you describe as being so fast paces and action packed has me wanting to give it a try. I'm so glad this one was such a hit for you, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya. Yeah, I think you have to be in the mood for this type of book, but I do love the adrenaline rush. :)

      Delete
  6. A thriller in Antartica?! That's an interesting premise! I'm glad you enjoyed reading this one -- slow burn romances are always fun to read.

    claire @ clairefy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I can't picture my life in the South Pole much less braving a race for survival out in the elements.

      Delete
  7. This sounds really good and I am always up for a good mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love books set in Antarctica, especially a good thriller. This sounds like a lot of fun- glad it was so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love that edge of trying to stay alive in the harshest of environments! Really loved this one. :)

      Delete
  9. I so want to read this one! I love books set in Antarctica. And the romance bit sounds like added fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The romance added so much, but I do love a good thriller set against a harsh environment. Hope you love it if you pick it up, Lark! :)

      Delete
  10. I love watching survivalist movies, and this one sounds like one that I would watch. This story sounds chock full of suspense and I like the way you described it. I can see it being such a fast-paced and thrilling story! Wonderful Review Rachel!

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen a lot of rave reviews of this book. Glad to see You enjoyed it as well. The story does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen this book everywhere, and it's getting such good reviews! I'm glad to see you enjoyed it, too.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes I would totally enjoy this. Fantastic review.

    ReplyDelete