Sunday, December 27, 2020

Sunday Post #103

 


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer book blog, and is a post to recap my bookish and non-bookish things from the last week.

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday. My time off was subdued and I was happy for it because we were slammed at work.  

Do you get those photo memory messages from your phone every once in while? Like "your memories a year ago"?  Just yesterday I got photo memories from my time in France four years ago, and I wonder when I'll get to visit again with all this craziness. Seeing all the photos brought back such wonderful memories! We traveled all over the place but I thought I'd share this fun photo: 


This was on the grounds surrounding Chateau d'Amboise, a castle in the Loire Valley, and I just loved all the rounded shapes. Even the trees in the background you can see are rounded, too, even though they are without leaves (we visited end of November-December).

Anyhow, I was feeling nostalgic. I think there's a lot of beautiful places here in the States, too. I'm longing for my next trip. What about you? Anywhere you'd like to visit or re-visit?

Read:
Click on cover for Goodreads link:


I had a great reading week. Lots of fun short reads/listens. I'm still trying to meet my Audio Challenge so I've been looking for novellas or shorter books to meet my goal. I loved The Getaway by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen! It was only a 2 hour 24 min audio book, but it was a riveting read! Mistletoe Between Friends was also a fun short listen! I've read a lot of Linda Howards, but never got to Mackenzie's Mountain. Renee brought it to mind and I couldn't resist. I loved it! Can't believe it was written back in 1989. Man Down by Kate Meader was another win, even though it broke my heart just thinking about the loss Gunnar went through. 


Received/Purchased/Library Lend:


I was excited to get a copy of Tell No Lies as I loved the first book. Allison Brennan is almost always a win for me. I've started listening to Happy Trail, an opposites attract romance while hiking the Appalachian Trail, a 2000 mile "thru hike"! Another one of Lark's books I had to read! Lord Dashwood Missed Out and Stay Close are both audio novellas to help me meet my Audio Challenge. 

Watched:


Nothing too exciting. Just my old standby. Pretty soon we'll be out of episodes. 



How was your week?


21 comments:

  1. We really have similar tastes. Some great reads! I think you do a better job with your running and long hikes though. I'm so happy you got some time to relax. I get those photo memories which are mostly photos of my daughter when young. Happy New Year!

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really do, Anne! I'm surprised by how many books we have in common. I get a bunch of photo memories of my grandkids and I'm reminded all over again of how unbearably cute they were as babies. They're still cute, but 5 and almost 3. You, too Anne! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, everyone is on a Mackenzie's Mountain kick. Its my mom's favorite book of all time!!!
    I get those photo memories sometimes and it reminds me how much I want to get back to places to see more! London, Paris, Rome, Brussels...I want to go back to all of them. Oh and St. Malo, France too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's the new covers? I loved it at any rate. I'd like to get back to several places in the US as well. Didn't mention that above, but I'd love to go back to Newport Rhode Island and see more of the "Summer Cottages" (Summer retreats for those like the Vanderbilt's) there on the coast.

      Delete
  3. Gunner's story gutted me, but I liked the way Meader worked through his pain. I love the picture memory. I did a combo Paris/London trip, so I didn't get out of the city during my tour (unless you count Disneyland). Maybe someday I can go back to both countries and tour the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It was so emotional! I'm excited for the next book in the series which I just found out releases this coming week!

      I would love to go back to France, but Italy is hopefully my next big destination.

      Delete
  4. Neat round landscape at the castle. You'll get to go traveling again. We all will. :)
    Wow, quite a few good reads there. Glad your Christmas was cozy and nice.

    Have a great New Year, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well yes but my pictures take me to...the US LOL Have a great week Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Being that you live in France that is logical, haha! You too, Sophia. :)

      Delete
  6. Love that photo! I'd love to go back to Paris someday. I'd also like to take a road trip up through Oregon. Maybe next summer? Hope you enjoy Happy Trail. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd love Oregon, Lark! The coast especially! I am enjoying it now. :)

      Delete
  7. I do enjoy those memories that pop up on my phone. Of course, I have never traveled out of the country but I do miss the pre-pandemic days. I remember loving Mackenzie's Mountain. I think that is it part of a series and I loved them all. I hope you have a a great week, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The US has so many beautiful places to visit, but yeah, I'd like to go after some of the pandemic craziness goes away, hopefully...

      I'm happy to hear you loved Mackenzie's Mountain, too. I'm thinking of continuing the series. Hope you have a lovely week, too!

      Delete
  8. Lovely pic! I can see why you'd want to revisit there. France is on my short list of places I still need to get to...

    The Getaway looks fun.

    I'm glad you had a nice Christmas although sorry to hear work was rough. I hope things get better out there soon (and everywhere) Covid- wise. Be safe and wishing you a happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow that picture of Chateau d'Amboise I thought it was an illustration! how cool how they trim them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when the photo memories pop up on my phone! I'm looking forward to a time when we can travel and see people again... I'm even looking forward to being able to hug people again even though I am NOT a hugger, generally! :)

    Hope you have a good break and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those photo memories. And the photo from France is beautiful. My husband and I were just talking about if/when we might feel comfortable traveling overseas again. Who knows. I just bought Mackenzie's Mountain last week because of Renee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love getting those little memory reminders. Especially this year, it has been great seeing memories from my travels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm French, so I'm happy you liked our country. I live in Burgundy, but the Vallée de Loire is beautiful, with all the history, the castles and the wines ^^ Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those memories :D

    ALso wicked looking balls there

    ReplyDelete