Sunday, June 14, 2015

Review: Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher
Published on April 1, 2000 by ROC
About the book
HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD Lost Items Found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment. Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he's the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the "everyday" world is actually full of strange and magical things—and most don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a—well, whatever. There's just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name. And that's when things start to get interesting. 
My Thoughts:
Let me first say that I am loving books from the guys POV written by male authors. I never thought I would say that, but man I think I have been seriously missing out on some great reads!  Storm Front wasn't as strong as I think it could have been, but I can't deny how much I really enjoyed it.

I am a Urban Fantasy lover and this book has been screaming my name for forever!  I was so excited when I started our Waves Reading Challenge because it pushed me to pick this up!  Storm Front has everything. Vampires, fae, demons, and Harry the resident wizard.  I love Harry.  He was such a fun character to get to know.  I think what I loved best about him was how sincere he was. Sometimes in these types of books the main hero can be a bit sure of himself and have an ego, but Harry just didn't have that.  He knew his limits and tried to play by the rules that were set.  It wasn't easy and there were times he almost caved, but he was a pretty stand up character and I can't wait to learn more about him! 

The story itself was pretty good.  I liked the introduction of key players that I am sure will be present in future books, and I really liked the world.  This first installment did feel sort of like a guide book and a here's what you need to know, but I still liked it.  It makes me really want to jump into the sequel since hopefully the author will focus more on story and character and I want that story!  I also really liked the romance part of the story.  Lately I have been over the whole NA angst stroylines and this was a refreshing twist.  There isn't a huge romance, but I can see one developing and I hope it continues.  I think the author did an amazing job at showing how Harry thinks and it was fun to watch him interact with the ladies.  He wasn't a ladies man that's for sure so it was laugh out loud funny at times.  Just the kind of romance I am looking for!

The only downside for me was that there did seem to be a few plot holes, and some things weren't tied up.  Knowing this is a series though I have a feeling the author just needed to get the ball rolling and (hopefully) each book will be better and better.  This series has great potential and I have really high hopes for the other installments.

4 suns




No comments:

Post a Comment