Friday, October 4, 2019

Review: Well Met by Jen DeLuca


Publication Date: September 3rd 2019 by Berkley
Pages: 336
Source: Publisher
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo

About the book:

All's faire in love and war for two sworn enemies who indulge in a harmless flirtation in a laugh-out-loud rom-com from debut author, Jen DeLuca.

Emily knew there would be strings attached when she relocated to the small town of Willow Creek, Maryland, for the summer to help her sister recover from an accident, but who could anticipate getting roped into volunteering for the local Renaissance Faire alongside her teenaged niece? Or that the irritating and inscrutable schoolteacher in charge of the volunteers would be so annoying that she finds it impossible to stop thinking about him?

The faire is Simon's family legacy and from the start he makes clear he doesn't have time for Emily's lighthearted approach to life, her oddball Shakespeare conspiracy theories, or her endless suggestions for new acts to shake things up. Yet on the faire grounds he becomes a different person, flirting freely with Emily when she's in her revealing wench's costume. But is this attraction real, or just part of the characters they're portraying?

This summer was only ever supposed to be a pit stop on the way to somewhere else for Emily, but soon she can't seem to shake the fantasy of establishing something more with Simon, or a permanent home of her own in Willow Creek.


My Thoughts:
Well Met was a wonderful debut!  A swoony romance in the magical setting of a Renaissance Faire, with all the delights that go along with it. I loved the romance!  The connection between Simon and Emily once the ice melted between them was deliciously hot! The kisses alone were so steamy and dreamy, but when they finally got together…oh my! I also loved Emily’s relationship with her sister, April, and her niece, Caitlin. Even though they weren’t super close growing up (twelve-year age gap and all that) Emily was there for them, putting her whole life on hold, when they needed her.  And it wasn’t one sided either, April was supportive of Emily when she needed it, too.

The faire was a lot of fun, too. Having never gone to a Renaissance Faire I got to experience it through Ms. DeLuca’s vivid writing.  

I really enjoyed Well Met, with some minor quibbles. I wasn’t thrilled with Emily’s quick judgmental assumptions about Simon at first, and I wasn’t a fan of Emily’s self-doubt in her relationship with Simon, especially since he seemed clear on things, also with Chris from the coffee shop. I guess some of it was understandable considering her previous relationship, but it was a little frustrating.

All in all, Well Met was a delight, and I look forward to whatever Jen DeLuca’s decides to come up with next!

3.5-4 Suns



15 comments:

  1. I’m so excited for this one and I’m glad to see you enjoyed it. I can see where Emily’s doubt would be annoying. I’m never a fan of characters who constantly doubt the other person’s feelings - especially when the other person gives them no reason to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a bit of a frustration, but not enough of one hamper my enjoyment. Hope you love it, Tanya! :)

      Delete
  2. It does look like a cutie. I've been to one Ren Faire and it was fun so I can see how the setting would be a hit and it sounds like there was some good sister dynamics as well as the romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really love to go to a Ren Faire some day. Must look up one.

      Delete
  3. This looks so cute! I wanted to read it so bad, but I'm trying hard to get caught up on ARCs and ONLY requesting from authors I've read.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gosh, I know that feeling! I'm always trying to catch up on ARCs so I usually request a library audio for books I add that aren't for review. I listen while commuting or exercising and it doesn't cut into my ARC reading time so much. :)

      Delete
  4. This one sounds like fun. Just reading the synopsis made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sonds good, even with those few things that would surely annoy me too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just skimmed through those bits so it wasn't a big issue.

      Delete
  6. I've heard really good things about this book so it's refreshing to see a review that isn't only singing its praises. Emily does sound a bit frustrating. I'm glad you enjoyed it overall though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this one more than you. I just had so much fun reading it, and I could relate to Emily's self-doubt. I am excited to hear it will be a series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely interested in this one. I love the premise!

    ReplyDelete