Saturday, October 12, 2019

Sunday Post #48


The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated reviewer book blog, and is a post to recap my bookish and non-bookish things from the last week. 



I've been on vacation this last week in Northern California and the weather has been beautiful! Clear sunny days, awesome sunsets and just peace and quiet. A much needed break from our every day schedule.  Both photos above are from Gallery Bookshop in Mendocino, California. A quaint, cute town with old Victorian homes and shops. Such an amazing book store, if you ever visit Mendocino you have to go! 
I'm not looking forward to traveling home tomorrow, especially with the huge fire that broke out about 15 miles south of our home. My heart goes out to all affected. 

Read:
(Click on cover for Goodreads link:)


My husband and I listened to the audio and we loved Things You Saved in a Fire! It was a wonderful story of healing, forgiveness with a swoony romance! The Widow of Rose House was also really good! I thought Ice Planet Barbarians would be a lot of cheesy, erotic fun, but it was surprisingly good and addictive! I totally recommend the audio version. I've already started listening to book two.

Received/Purchased/Library Lend:
(Click on cover for Goodreads link:)



I've been enjoying J.R.Ward's spinoff series to BDB, especially since you don't really have to be caught up with the original series to enjoy these ones. I'm several books behind with the main series and I don't know if I'll ever catch up. I downloaded the second Ice Planet Barbarians book after loving the first one, and I'm already hooked. 

Watched:

I haven't watched anything since we haven't been around a T.V. in the last week being on vacation.

How was your week?



34 comments:

  1. I love that your husband listened to Things You Save in a Fire. He's a star! I just adored that book. It was everything you said and just thinking about it brings a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love it when we can share books. It was such a great story, right? I thought about it for a while after finishing.

      Delete
  2. I wish my husband listened to audiobooks with me too Rachel! On a nother note, I loved all the Victorian houses when we visited California nearly five years ago now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to make long car rides more bearable. I love the old Victorians!

      Delete
  3. I always love discovering a new to me bookstore. Glad your visit to Mendacino has been great. I was just as surprised about how much I liked the first Ice Planet Barbarians. I've got the rest of the series on my KU wish list when I start it up again. I still need to read that latest JR Ward BDB Legacy book. It is nice that the side series works well for those not caught up on the other.
    Safe travels back home and wishing well those affected by that fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished the first two and I'd like to continue with the series. I've started Blood Truth and I'm loving it! Thankfully, the put the fires out pretty quickly.

      Delete
  4. I thought The Widow of Rose House was good as well. And I love Ruby Dixon! Everyone expects ridiculous cheesy aliens but its actually a good series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So envious of that beautiful weather. And what a charming little bookshop! My husband and I sometimes listen to audiobooks together, too. It’s fun to be able to discuss it as we listen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get some nice weather coming your way, Tanya. It is nice to share our books.

      Delete
  6. Ice planet barbarians, ok so the name makes me loll but good is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The audios are really good. You should give them a try. :)

      Delete
  7. Pretty bookstore pictures! I envy the nice weather, we've had nothing but rain for a couple of weeks now. I feel like I've completely missed the cool, dry and crisp autumn days and went straight into soggy miserable winter just with better colours! :(

    I haven't read any of the BDB spin off books but I want to. I'm behind on the main series too.

    Have a good week Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bummer. I hate it when you go from hot and horrible to cold and soggy. The BDB spinoff is really good and can be read as standalones. You should give it a shot. Thanks you too, Nicci! :)

      Delete
  8. Those fires are absolutely horrendous, from what I've seen on TV. Hope they stay well away from your area. and that bookstore looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the fire season passes quickly! It was so lovely! I shopped for a long time.

      Delete
  9. JR Ward is one of those authors I keep meaning to read because everyone loves her but then there are just so many books! It's good to know that you can dive into the spin off without reading the original series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd read the first few BDB series and then jump to the spinoff. Much easier to tackle, IMO.

      Delete
  10. Bookshops! I'm glad you're enjoying your vacation! I'm glad your safe, btw!
    Genesis @ Whispering Chapters

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you loved Things You Save In A Fire, too! Such a cute book. And I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fires are terrible. Please stay safe. What a wonderful bookstore! I loved Things You Save in a Fire. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been following the news and those fires sound horrific. I feel for everyone out there. That book store looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, California wildfires have become epic and devastating the last few years. :(

      Delete
  14. I also loved the Things You Save in a Fire. I got Christmas Past but I won't read it until December. It's too early for Christmas books for me. I'm still reading witches and ghosts! I'm glad you had a pleasant trip. Happy reading this week!

    Anne - Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel like they really started early with the Christmas books this year. You too, Anne! :)

      Delete
  15. I adored THINGS YOU SAVE IN A FIRE. So many things to love about that one! THE WIDOW OF ROSE HOUSE is one I definitely want to read sometime soon. Glad you enjoyed it.

    Glad to have found you via Lark's blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you try The Widow of Rose House! Lark's wonderful! :)

      Delete
  16. How was Christmas Past?
    And the bookshop looks lovely!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas Past was an entertaining novella. Nothing that would knock your socks off, though.

      Delete