Monday, June 5, 2023

Review: Identity by Nora Roberts

 

Identity by Nora Roberts
Publication Date: May 23rd 2023 by St. Martin's Press
Pages: 448
Source: Publisher 
Rating: 
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
Morgan Albright agrees to a date with one of her bar patrons, Luke. He’s charming and handsome, but little did she know her life would be upended after inviting him in. She’s his target, but when her best friend, Nina is home unexpectedly, she pays with her life. But not only does Morgan lose her best friend, this jerk steals all her money, and wrecking her credit. Morgan’s life plan of starting her own business, owning a home, and putting down roots are shattered.  She has no options but to head into the comfort of her mother and grandmother, the Nash women, back in Vermont. Yet, what seems to be a huge setback becomes a blessing. Being with her mother and grandmother in their beautiful home, in a gorgeous location, she starts to put down roots again. She even loves her job as head bartender at the local resort.

Unfortunately, Luke doesn’t forget about Morgan and while he continues his killing and thieving, he continues to send little reminders to Morgan that he’s not done with her.

Identity had portions of suspense, more in the beginning and end, but only interspersed in the middle when you get the POV of Luke. He was a merciless killer to be sure, getting crazier by the day!

In the middle I’d say the story is more about Morgan getting her life back, connecting with her mother and grandmother again, making an impression at work, making friends, and falling in love. I really enjoyed this part, but it was a slower pace. I liked all the details of the area, Vermont sounds beautiful! And I liked the details of gardening, making drinks, food, and home improvement. The romance with Miles was easy going, but also intense and passionate. I loved his strong protective streak, but more than that he was so very supportive of Morgan.

I liked that Morgan was proactive about being prepared for when/if Luke showed up again by getting in fighting shape and taking self-defense classes. The FBI continued to keep Morgan in the loop, and their updates upped the tension every time.

Identity was an engrossing mystery/thriller, that at times had me on the edge of my seat, but even when it wasn’t as suspenseful the tale was a page turner.

4 Stars


Book Description:

A new thriller about one man's ice-cold malice, and one woman's fight to reclaim her life.

Former Army brat Morgan Albright has finally planted roots in a friendly neighborhood near Baltimore. Her friend and roommate Nina helps her make the mortgage payments, as does Morgan's job as a bartender. But after she and Nina host their first dinner party—attended by Luke, the flirtatious IT guy who'd been chatting her up at the bar—her carefully built world is shattered. The back door glass is broken, cash and jewelry are missing, her car is gone, and Nina lies dead on the floor.

Soon, a horrific truth emerges: It was Morgan who let the monster in. "Luke” is actually a cold-hearted con artist named Gavin who targets a particular type of woman, steals her assets and identity, and then commits his ultimate goal: murder.

What the FBI tells Morgan is beyond chilling. Nina wasn't his type. Morgan is. Nina was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. And Morgan's nightmare is just beginning. Soon she has no choice but to flee to her mother's home in Vermont. While she struggles to build something new, she meets another man, Miles Jameson. He isn't flashy or flirtatious, and his family business has deep roots in town. But Gavin is still out there hunting new victims, and he hasn't forgotten the one who got away.


17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice combination of mystery/thriller and family relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good summer read. Thanks! I didn't have it on my radar, even though I used to read Nora Roberts regularly. She's one of the authors that I bought in paperback during frequent visits to the bookstore that just don't happen for me, anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only recently started reading Nora Roberts. I've enjoyed everything I've picked up by her. Hope you have fun with Identity, Joy!

      Delete
  3. I’d like to read this one. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific review! I enjoyed this. Morgan was awesome. It felt like mystery/suspense - life fiction - mystery/suspense. While I liked all the cocktails and gardening and I loved her reconnection with her mom/gran I felt the middle could have been a bit shorter. The romance never took center stage but I don't mind.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even though I enjoyed all the life fiction, I do feel like the book could've been tightened up a little. Still, it was easy to breeze through and have fun. Thanks, Anne!

      Delete
  5. I was so tempted to download this one because I knew that it would be something that I would like. It is going on the library list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it, Carole! Looking forward to your thoughts!

      Delete
  6. I love that cover! (The story itself sounds equally good.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like an interesting blend of story elements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked it too. You'd think the slower parts would be boring or frustrating, but it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a long while since I've read anything from Nora Roberts but I've almost always enjoyed her books. I'm going to put this on hold at the library (even though I know the line will be a long one!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice review, Rachel. This is such a timely story, well, at least the Identity theft part. I like that this character doesn't just sit back and let it happen. I just put my name on the list for the audiobook from my library. It sounds like a good book just to sit back and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete