Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Review: Better Hate than Never by Chloe Liese

 

Better Hate than Never (Wilmot Sisters #2) by Chloe Liese
Publication Date: October 10th 2023 by Berkley
Pages: 360
Source: Publisher 
Rating: ½

My Thoughts:
Enemies-to-lovers can be a tricky romance trope. It’s hard to wipe out the negative if the characters are super hateful to each other, but I didn’t think Christopher or Kate crossed over the line. They were more in the habit of being contrary to each other, each for different reasons. Kate lashed out, because she felt hurt and rejected by Christopher over and over, and Christopher wanted to keep her at arm’s length, to counteract his attraction to her. He had no idea that his words and actions truly hurt Kate’s feelings.

I can’t write this without mentioning the absolutely yummy sounding doughnuts in the story! Sentences like this: “tart apples and cinnamon, pumpkin and pungent nutmeg, warm vanilla and rich maple syrup” made me crave a doughnut or five, and that wasn’t the only batch mentioned!

Better Hate than Never was a fun reimagining of Taming the Shrew. Ten Things I Hate About You is one of my all-time favorite movies and there’s a few nods to the film in the story. I liked that there was no over-the-top, last-minute drama once Kate and Christopher sorted out their adversarial relationship and acknowledged their sizzling chemistry. Chloe Liese built the tension between these two which resulted in some hot stuff! I loved the family connections and support as well.

 4 Stars


Book Description:

Childhood enemies discover the fine line between love and loathing in this heartfelt reimagining of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew.

Katerina Wilmot and Christopher Petruchio shared backyards as kids, but as adults they won't even share the same hemisphere. That is, until Kate makes a rare visit home, and their fiery animosity rekindles into a raging inferno.

Despite their friends' and families' pleas for peace, Christopher is unconvinced Kate would willingly douse the flames of their enmity. But when a drunken Kate confesses she's only been hostile because she thought he hated her, Christopher vows to make peace with Kate once and for all. Tempting as it is to be swept away by her nemesis-turned-gentleman, Kate isn't sure she can trust his charming good-guy act.

When Christopher's persistence and Kate’s curiosity lead to an impassioned kiss, they realize "peace" is the last thing that will ever be possible between them. As desire gives way to deeper feelings, Kate and Christopher must decide if it’s truly better to hate than to never risk their hearts—or if they already gave them away long ago.



24 comments:

  1. I've seen some positive reviews of this author. There are some things you mentioned which do appeal to me.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun title. I remember going on a drama field trip in high school to see the movie....way back. LOL
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you loved it Rachel! I struggled a little more with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that I loved it, but it was entertaining. :)

      Delete
  4. I struggle with this trope because sometimes the hate goes a bit too far for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of Chloe Liese; she writes some fun romances. I've got this one on my TBR list, but right now I'm focusing on those Christmas/holiday romances. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you love it, Lark. I've been more in a thriller/mystery mood than romance lately. Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  6. I like enemies to lovers, but I do not want them to truly effing hate each other. So this sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right, enemies to lovers trope can be tricky. This one sounds like it was a solid read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't cross over into over-the-top hate so I was happy about that.

      Delete
  8. I like enemies to lovers! I'd check that out but thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, I'm hungry for donuts, too. :) Yeah, good point about when an enemies to lovers stops working for a romance- I've read a few that went too far to believe they could have a real chance.

    Happy thanksgiving, Rachel!
    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Yes, I have as well! Hard to take back hateful words. Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving, Sophia!

      Delete
  10. This is an author that I really do want to read sometime soon. This sounds like it was a good read overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've read a few books by her. Always Only You continues to be my favorite.

      Delete
  11. I've enjoyed her books so far for the most part and I have this one on my list too.

    ReplyDelete