Saturday, May 3, 2014

Review: Broken Pieces by Riley Hart

Broken Pieces by Riley Hart
Published February 3rd 2014 by Riley Hart
Can three broken pieces make a whole?

Josiah Evans is the orphan who lost both his parents. He’s sweet, shy, and all heart. He wants nothing more than to be loved.

Mateo Sanchez is the son of a gang leader. He’s seen it all, and never hesitates to do what needs to be done, no matter what it is.

Tristan Croft is the wealthy attorney who clawed his way up from the bottom to rule his own world. He’ll never depend on anyone but himself again.

Three men who couldn’t be more different…and yet, as their lives intersect they find an uncommon balance that calms the storms inside each of them, and ignites fires hotter than they ever thought imaginable.

Told uniquely in three parts and spanning over ten years, BROKEN PIECES is a journey of healing for three fragmented souls, finding love in the unlikeliest of places—with each other.

Arlene's Thoughts
This isn’t the first book I’ve read by Riley Hart, but I have to say that I enjoyed Collide a bit more than Broken Pieces. I guess I’m just a two person relationship type of girl, so when a third character was added to the love mix, the romance and chemistry lost something in the translation, and it never felt quite right for me.

The story was cleverly shared through three various perspectives including Josiah, Tristan and Mateo. Luckily for me, their alternating perspectives were never confusing because all three characters were completely distinct. The first half of the book, shared the journey of Josiah and Mateo who came together as teenagers that were part of the foster care system. Josiah was shy and unsure, whereas Mateo came in the scene with hard edges and an even sharper personality. It was nice to see Mateo become Josiah’s protector and as their relationship developed, these two connected on many levels that felt sincere.

When a Mateo was forced to push Josiah away to keep him safe, the story became a journey of seeing Josiah learn to stand on his own and begin to chase his dreams. He was never really able to stop loving Mateo despite the harsh separation, and when Tristan eventually came into the picture with his own closet full of skeletons, these two took their time in learning to trust and depend on each other. However, as soon as Josiah and Tristan began to make progress in their relationship, the past eventually comes back to haunt them.

I really came to like all three of them on an individual level, but when it came to developing a relationship, Tristan and Josiah seemed to be my preference. I loved their slow-building romance and how these two came together. It felt right despite the long history Josiah and Mateo shared. I would have been happy to see the chapters close between Mateo and Josiah in order to enjoy where Tristan and Josiah ended up.

Overall, the story was steady and felt real from beginning to end. I’m curious how Hart intends to continue their adventure. Despite having my preferences though, a book with these likable characters is sure to be enjoyable.
3 Suns

Crystal's Thoughts
Broken Pieces was just that broken pieces.  Josiah, Mateo, & Tristan weren't the most broken characters I have ever read, but their story was heart touching and I did enjoy it for the most part.

This story is told over several years and honestly for me it came alive when Josiah met Tristan.  I wanted to know more about Tristan and I felt like we were kinda robbed out of his story.  Did I like Mateo, yes to a point but for me he was really a huge part of Josiah.  He was Josiah's first love and I know that never goes away, but I would have preferred for Josiah to grow, move on and come to terms with what happened between them.  I didn't need to dwell on his past.  I know that its kinda hard to move on when your past haunts you, but I so wished the past would have stayed in the past.

I'm not sure I liked how things ended between the three guys.  I think Tristan owed Josiah more than he gave him and I didn't like what went down between him and Mateo.  I guess again I feel like Josiah was robbed out of a great relationship.  I know he isn't settling, but I wanted more for him.  He waited so long for one thing to come true and when it did it was shared with someone else who had just popped up out of nowhere.  I didn't like it one bit.  That particular scene should have just been with Josiah no one else.

Okay so I haven't said too much about what I liked about this so I will end on a good note.  I did enjoy the writing.  The author really drew me in and I felt like I knew each character.  I even liked the fact that the story spanned several years.  It gave the story depth that I think it needed.  Characters need to grow and I saw that over the years.  I also liked Josiah.  He was a great character, a little bit of a push over but a great character nonetheless.  He made the story for me.  Tristan was another great one and I am hoping that I get to see more of him in the sequel.

Speaking of the sequel I am not sure what to expect.  I think the story ended on an okay note so I am curious what the author will bring to the table.  This story was for the most part drama free which I liked so I am scared the sequel will be filled with drama, but we shall see.

3 Suns



No comments:

Post a Comment