Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Review: Sustained by Emma Chase


Publication Date: August 25th 2015 by Gallery Books
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | iBooks | BAM | IndieBound | Google

About the book:

A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.

When you’re a defense attorney in Washington, DC, you see firsthand how hard life can be, and that sometimes the only way to survive is to be harder. I, Jake Becker, have a reputation for being cold, callous, and intimidating—and that suits me just fine. In fact, it’s necessary when I’m breaking down a witness on the stand.

Complications don’t work for me—I’m a “need-to-know” type of man. If you’re my client, tell me the basic facts. If you’re my date, stick to what will turn you on. I’m not a therapist or Prince Charming—and I don’t pretend to be.

Then Chelsea McQuaid and her six orphaned nieces and nephews came along and complicated the ever-loving hell out of my life. Now I'm going to Mommy & Me classes, One Direction concerts, the emergency room, and arguing cases in the principal's office.

Chelsea’s too sweet, too innocent, and too gorgeous for her own good. She tries to be tough, but she’s not. She needs someone to help her, defend her…and the kids.

And that — that, I know how to do.

My Thoughts:
Jake Becker is driven, smart, cutthroat lawyer, all about making it to partner in his firm without distractions.  But when a smart-ass nine-year old steals his wallet, his life is thrown off-course, and smack into the middle of the McQuaid’s chaos.  And we get to sit back and enjoy the show. Let the fun begin!

Chelsea McQuaid was so sweet and selfless.  My heart went out to her right away. At only twenty-six, Chelsea put her life on hold and took on raising six kids on her own all the while battling her own grief.  Jake’s only been about looks and sex, not caring to know anything about the women he slept with, but he couldn’t help but admire Chelsea especially when circumstances kept pushing them together. Although, it seemed Jake was more than willing to jump in and help Chelsea and this big brood of children in spite of himself, and my heart warmed every single time!

Jake is the arrogant jerk you can’t help but fall for, because underneath it all beats a sincere heart, whether he’d admit to it or not. Although, I did want to shake some sense in him more than a few times, especially when he pulled some wishy washy moves!! A nice slap upside the head might’ve made me feel better and done him some good!  But like I said, I still couldn’t help but fall for him. 

Being inside Jake’s mind was hilarious! Just re-reading some of the passages before writing this review had me laughing all over again.

“How many kids live in this house exactly?” I ask the aunt. It’s starting to feel like they’re cockroaches –see one, and you can bet there’s fifty more crawling around inside the walls. I shiver at the thought.
“Six.”
Six? I’m guessing Robert McQuaid didn’t have many hobbies.

Jake and Chelsea’s romance built up at a slow, steady burn.  Every time Jake stepped in to help you could see their connection building, and the tender feelings exchanged. With six kids around it’s a little difficult to buy out time, but there was no way to ignore the attraction.

Chelsea walks toward the door that leads into the kitchen but stops before exiting. Looking over her shoulder back at me, her reddish hair glowing like gold in the firelight, she raises an eyebrow. “So…you’re not trying to seduce me?”
I meet her gaze head-on. And wink. “I didn’t say that.”

We’re treated to lusty stolen kisses and more, guaranteed to get your blood racing!

The kids were super cute, all six of them! Kids have a way of cutting through all the bullshit and getting to the heart of the matter, and Jake needed that a few times. Seeing Jake deal with them was hilarious!

I notice his ass feels heavy.
Wet.
I look at his sister. “I think he needs to be changed.”
Her face turns wary and she raises her little hands. “Don’t look at me. I’m just a kid.”
“Now you play the kid card?” I ask her.
She shrugs without pity.

With every moment he spends with the McQuaid brood, Jake falls a little harder in love with Chelsea and the kids. 

I adored Sustained!  Emma Chase combined clever, laugh-out-loud humor with a sexy romance, and the mix was oh-so-much fun. I was laughing and grinning throughout the story!

4.5 Suns




Connect with Emma Chase:




No comments:

Post a Comment