Monday, February 1, 2021

Review: Deep into the Dark by P.J. Tracy

 

Deep into the Dark (Detective Margaret Nolan #1) by P.J. Tracy
Publication Date: January 12th 2021 by Minotaur Books
Pages: 352
Source: Publisher
Rating: 
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
Sam and Melody, each struggling with issues from their past, have formed a friendship after working together at a trendy Los Angeles bar, The Pearl. They find themselves embroiled in not one, but two murder mysteries, which puts them on Detective Margaret Nolan and her partner’s radar.  Sam struggles with severe PTSD which has been resulting in creepy hallucinations and disturbing dreams. An unfortunate complication when dealing with the strange occurrences that Melody and Sam keep encountering.

After reading the book description and seeing the series is named after the lead detective, I was a little thrown by how little time was spent with Detective Margaret Nolan. I think a large portion was focused on Sam and Melody, which wasn’t a bad thing as I really enjoyed getting to know them and liked their characters. It was just a surprise. Sam and Melody are forced to rely heavily on each other, and I wonder about how their relationship will play out in future books or if they’ll even be in the coming books. The series is called Detective Margaret Nolan, so maybe not?

After being a big fan of the Monkeywrench series I was excited to pick up P.J. Tracy’s newest endeavor. Also, a bit nervous. When you’re a fan of a particular series and they come up with something new there’s expectations. It did take me a bit to get into the story, but when I made myself sit down and concentrate, the story was engrossing. It was easy to make out the killer once the person appeared on the page, and I did suspect how the situation would come to a head. I will say that even knowing that things got pretty crazy in the end making for an action-packed, crazy-town-finish!

 4 Stars


Goodreads Description:
Deep into the Dark features up-and-coming LAPD Detective Margaret Nolan

Sam Easton - a true survivor - is home from Afghanistan, trying to rebuild a life in his hometown of LA. Separated from his wife, bartending and therapy sessions are what occupy his days and nights. When friend and colleague Melody Traeger is beaten by her boyfriend, she turns to Sam for help. When the boyfriend turns up dead the next day, a hard case like Sam is the perfect suspect.

But LAPD Detective Margaret Nolan, whose brother recently died serving overseas, is sympathetic to Sam's troubles, and can't quite see him as a killer. She's more interested in the secrets Melody might be keeping and the developments in another murder case on the other side of town.

10 comments:

  1. I love crazy finishes like that! I hope this series goes good places in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so interesting that the book focuses on the other characters and not the detective. It actually makes me want to read the book more and I bet it will make the series more exciting too. Ooh and you say things got chaotic and action-packed at the end?? I'm here for that! Great review, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is strange the detective isn't more prominent in this book. I'm glad to hear you still really liked it though!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you ended up liking it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got the first of the Monkeywrench series from the library. Sounds like I might want to get on board with this series also. Wonderful review!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curious about the spotlight on Sam and Melanie while the series detective is off to the side. I'm glad the newest series was able to win you over after you loved the first one so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the first book in the Monkeywrench series and need to go back and finish it. This book sounds like one I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hm, interesting that the series is named for the detective when she doesn't appear to be the main character. Glad you enjoyed this one... even if you had it figured out early. :)

    ReplyDelete