Thursday, October 8, 2026

Review: After We Fall by Deborah Clack

After We Fall by Deborah Clack

After We Fall (Shelter & Sky #2) by Deborah Clack
Publication Date: October 6th 2026 by Haven & Recorded Books
Pages: 368
Audio Book Length: 10hrs 47min
Narrator: Jeanine Bartel
Source: Publishers & Great Reads Book Promotion
Rating: ★★★★

My Thoughts:
Super-efficient Penelope Reid wants to manage the Twelve Bluebells Ranch, a halfway home for girls aging out of the foster care system. It’s a program close to her heart given her own background. She’s grown close to the girls and is determined to prove she’s perfect for the job.
 
Luke Granger is called to the ranch after vandalism and a suspicious delivery give cause for concern. As the two work together to keep the girls safe, they form a reluctant friendship. When the threat leads to an accident, Penelope is forced to rely on Luke even more, examine her past, and finally address an old injury.
 
It took me a bit to see the attraction with Luke, toothpicks are a pet peeve of mine, but he was such a sweetheart with Penelope and the girls and grew on me.
 
I didn’t know much about TBI, so I found all the medical aspects really interesting. I felt for Penelope and everything she had been through, and I admired the strong, capable, loving woman she became despite her childhood trauma.
 
I really enjoyed After We Fall! It’s a romance with a touch of suspense that delves into some deeper issues while tempering them with humor and a whole lot of heart!
 
I alternated between the audiobook and print copy, and I thought Janine Bartel did a wonderful job bringing all the characters to life. I especially loved the way she captured Penelope’s perky, efficient personality.
 
4 Stars


Book Description:

Self-sufficient Penelope Reid has her life completely mapped out—a necessity after surviving foster care. Now she’s on a mission to prove that she’s capable of managing a halfway house at Twelve Bluebells Ranch. The last thing she needs is hindrance from the charming Luke Granger, who asked her to dance three years ago, then disappeared before the music began.

Luke lives a nomadic lifestyle as a security specialist. He’s never found a reason to put down roots until he’s reunited with the bossy brunette and her generous heart. When vandalism strikes the ranch neighboring Twelve Bluebells, securing the area is just another gig for him before he hits the road. But as Luke and Penelope work alongside each other and care for the ranch’s halfway house residents, his restless heart finds reasons to stay, and her careful walls begin to crack.

When crisis threatens everything Penelope has built and tragedy pulls at Luke’s wandering heart, they must decide if it’s worth the risk to lower their guards for a love that could give them the home they’ve always longed for.

Deborah Clack crafts a story with poignant emotions and witty banter in this no-spice romance about taking risks and finding belonging in unexpected places.


No comments:

Post a Comment