Friday, May 21, 2021

Audio Review: Cursed Luck by Kelley Armstrong

 


Cursed Luck (Cursed Luck #1) by Kelley Armstrong
Publication Date: April 13th 2021 by Tantor Audio
Pages: 364
Audio Book Length: 12 hrs 20 min
Narrators: Carly Robins
Source: Publisher
Rating: 
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Audible | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
Kennedy Bennett and her two sisters come from a long line of curse weavers and Kennedy’s specialty is uncursing valuable objects and then reselling them. When she’s approached by Aiden Conolly, a luck worker, to uncurse the infamous Necklace of Harmonia, they butt heads, and she refuses to work for him.  However, when Kennedy’s sisters are kidnapped and the evidence points to it being related to Aiden’s request, she hunts him down and they team up to find her sisters. Kennedy and Aiden quickly get over their differences and form a complimentary team and there are hints of an attraction growing between them.  

This was a fun magical story! I’ve seen a few reviews calling it a cozy Urban Fantasy, and I totally agree with that description. It reminded me of the The Guild Codex series by Annette Marie in that it’s a lighthearted adventure/mystery with a lot of silly humor. Urban Fantasy-Lite in a way. I thought the magical world Ms. Armstrong presented was an original and interesting concept: humans with a variety of magical talents based on Greek Mythology. I will say that I did get a little lost on some of the roots because there are so many variations of names in the Greek Mythos, but I just went with it, and it didn’t hamper my enjoyment of the story.

The mystery wraps up, but the relationship between Kennedy and Aiden is just starting with a possible romance to come. Kennedy is left with a “souvenir” from this caper, and I wonder how it will impact the story going forward. I look forward to the next story!

Carly Robins narrated the story, and I thought her voice represented Kennedy perfectly. Fun and sarcastic, she had great comedic timing! I’d like to continue the series by audio with her as the performer. I listened at 1.4x normal speed.

4 Stars

Book Description:
Kennedy Bennett comes from a long line of curse weavers. For centuries, her family has plied their trade in Unstable, Massachusetts, a quirky small town that’s welcomed paranormal practitioners since the dawn of spiritualism. Kennedy has recently struck out on her own, opening an antiques shop in Boston, where her speciality is uncursing and reselling hexed objects.

Then Aiden Connolly walks into her life with an offer she really should refuse. The scion of a wealthy family of luck workers, Aiden has a scheme to get his hands on the most famous cursed object of all: the mythical Necklace of Harmonia. He’s not the only one after the necklace, though. And he’s not the only one looking for a curse weaver to fix it. Kennedy’s sisters are kidnapped, she finds herself plunged into the underbelly of the magical world where even Aidan soon finds himself in over his head.


9 comments:

  1. Oh good! I got this one to listen to and I'm really looking forward to it after catching your thoughts, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it, Sophia Rose! I look forward to your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. Yes I enjoyed this one. I think I will only enjoy it more as the series goes forward.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed this one! Love it, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete