Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Review: Kit McBride Gets a Wife by Amy Barry

 

Kit McBride Gets a Wife by Amy Barry
Publication Date: August 23rd 2022 by Berkley Books
Pages: 352
Source: Publisher 
Rating: ½
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
Junebug McBride is the lone girl in Buck’s Creek, Montana where her brothers man a trading post. There are endless chores to look after her brothers, and not much gratitude. So Junebug decides that she’ll find a wife for Kit, another woman on the mountain to help cook and clean. She writes up the most hilarious matrimonial request to post in the paper, mostly because it’s brutally honest in her description of her brother, and wait and see what happens. Junebug was so freaking funny, I just loved this girl! If I had to do all that cooking and cleaning, without modern conveniences, I’d post an advert too! The way she described her brother had me laughing up a storm!

Maddy came to America from Ireland seeking a better life and a chance to be more than just a parlor maid. Unfortunately, things don’t go as planned. Maddy didn’t figure on being mistaken for a mail order bride. Junebug convinces her to go along with it and before you know it Maddy feels at home with the big burly mountain McBride men. She also comes to love Junebug with her brash and honest way of speaking.  Maddy was a hard worker and a straight talker but had a grace about her. She was good for Junebug and the McBride men! She had some hard knocks, so it was special to her to be looked after like she was by the McBride’s. Maddy also was overcome by the beauty of Buck’s Creek with its majestic scenery and open spaces, vividly described by Ms. Barry’s writing, and I just knew this was the place for her!

I adored this romance so much! It was a slow burn and sweetly passionate! The secondary characters were also interesting and fun. Just an all-around pleasurable read!  I’m now eagerly awaiting Morgan McBride’s romance next!

4.5 Stars


Book Description:

The four McBride brothers have their worlds turned upside down when their precocious younger sister secretly places an advertisement for a mail-order bride.

Kit McBride knows that Buck's Creek, Montana, is no place to find a wife. Between him and his three brothers--plus little Junebug--they manage all right on their own, thank you very much. But unbeknownst to Kit, his sister is sick to death of cleaning, cooking, and mending for her big brothers, so she places an ad in The Matrimonial News to get them hitched.

After Maddy Mooney emigrated from Ireland, she found employment with an eccentric but poor widow. When her mistress decides to answer an ad for a mail-order bride, Madd​y is dragged along for the ride to Montana. But en route to the West, Maddy is suddenly abandoned and left to assume the widow's name, position, and matrimonial prospects....

With no other recourse in the wilderness, Maddy must convince Kit not only is she who she says she is, but she's the wife he never knew he needed.


19 comments:

  1. Maddie and Junebug are quite the pair! And also hilarious — this sounds like such a fun read! — Verushka @ Pop. Edit. Lit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this. Thank you so much. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't Junebug the best? I am really looking forward to reading more of this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was! I loved all the characters and I'm really looking forward to the next one!

      Delete
  4. Hm, not sure this is one I would gravitate to but it does sound fun. The name Junebug made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like this one, Tanya. Yes, it's a funny name and very fitting.

      Delete
  5. IDK is this current or historical? I like the sound of Junebug.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a historical. Western historical and Junebug was a hoot!

      Delete
  6. This does sound super fun! I love that Junebug places an ad for a wife for her brother. Too funny. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like such a fun read and I love Junebug already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a lot of fun, but all the characters were delightful!

      Delete
  8. I love the sound of this. I have it on my tbr

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard so many great things about this one. It definitely sounds like one that I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds fun. Gonna check it out, thanks for putting it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete