Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Audiobook Review: The Last Orphan by Gregg Hurwitz

 

The Last Orphan (Orphan X #8) by Gregg Hurwitz
Publication Date: February 14th 2023 by Macmillan Audio
Pages: 352
Audio Book Length: 11hrs 46min
Narrators: Scott Brick
Source: Publisher 
Rating: 
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo Audible | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
In The Last Orphan Evan’s pardon has come into question, because as we know, he hasn’t exactly lived up to his end of the bargain he made with the President. If someone calls and asks for help, he’s not the type just to ignore it. Things get dicey for Evan, and I was on the edge of my seat!

I’m always amazed by Evan’s abilities and his talent to prevail even when it looks like he’s up against a no-win situation! Love it when this line comes out: “Look at me closely. And ask yourself: Do I look scared?” I know some much deserved smackdown is about to be served and it puts a smile on my face every time!

I think one of the reasons I love this series so much because justice usually wins out in some form eventually. The baddies get their comeuppance, something I long to see in real life, but don’t always get.

In the past Evan has been mostly on his own, but gradually he’s collected a sort of family, people he cares about and who he can count on. Joey, Tommy, Mia and even (gasp!) Candy! Going from a mostly lonely existence to inadvertently and reluctantly adding these people to his life has been heartwarming!

As usual this “case” wraps up, but I wonder over a new character and how they might play into future stories.

The Last Orphan was full of danger and action, but also laughs and emotional moments! Orphan X has quickly become a favorite series and I eagerly await the next installment!

I listened to the audio version of The Last Orphan, which I highly recommend! Scott Brick’s voice is Evan Smoak to me. His performance of Evan is perfection! I enjoy his other characters voices, as well, and his comedic timing is spot on. I listened at my usual 1.5x-1.75x normal speed.

5 Stars


Book Description:

Evan Smoak returns in The Last Orphan, the latest New York Times bestselling Orphan X thriller--when everything changes and everything is at risk.

As a child, Evan Smoak was plucked out of a group home, raised and trained as an off-the-books assassin for the government as part of the Orphan program. When he broke with the program and went deep underground, he left with a lot of secrets in his head that the government would do anything to make sure never got out.

When he remade himself as The Nowhere Man, dedicated to helping the most desperate in their times of trouble, Evan found himself slowly back on the government's radar. Having eliminated most of the Orphans in the program, the government will stop at nothing to eliminate the threat they see in Evan. But Orphan X has always been several steps ahead of his pursuers.

Until he makes one little mistake...

Now the President has him in her control and offers Evan a deal - eliminate a rich, powerful man she says is too dangerous to live and, in turn, she'll let Evan survive. But when Evan left the Program he swore to only use his skills against those who really deserve it. Now he has to decide what's more important - his principles or his life.


17 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said about this series. I love Evan Smoak, and I love how he's been letting other people into his life. I'm so impatient for my library hold of this one to come in so I can read it! Great review, Rachel. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it comes through soon for you Lark! I look forward to your thoughts! :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent review! I love Evan so much. I feel badly about Mia and Peter.

    Anne – Books of My Heart


    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review! I really need to start this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that line! I must get to this series sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you wish it was always the case that the baddies get what they have coming to them? I was excited to see such a high rating from you. YEAH! I continue to be amazed that authors can keep a series going for this many book AND maintain such a high level of quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so it's satisfying when it happens. Even if it is only in fiction.

      Delete
  6. I've heard so many wonderful things about this series! I'm so glad you're enjoying it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit that I was underwhelmed by the first book to the point that I never felt the need to keep reading the series. That being said, everyone who reads the books seems to really enjoy them. I can't help but feel like I may need to give the second book a go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, Rachel. I can't wait to get to this one. I love Evan and how he has evolved over the series. Yes, justice prevails, thanks to Evan's humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like such a great series. I like the balance between the action/danger and the humor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice review! I'm glad you recommend the audiobooks for this series.

    ReplyDelete