Monday, February 20, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Heroines

 

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Artsy Reader where each week they post a new top ten list and ask fellow bookish folk to share their lists on that topic. 

This week is Favorite Heroines. It was hard just listing ten!



Mercy Thompson! Patricia Briggs has crafted one of my all-time favorite female characters in Mercy. Her intelligence shines with every problem she encounters. Mercy ponders things through like body language, repercussions of action, and what she says, weighing possible outcomes, doing this pretty quickly!



Kate Daniels is a powerhouse! It's a tie between Mercy and Kate for my all-time favorite heroine across the board.

 

Casey Duncan from the Rockton series. Another strong female underestimated by most. Stationed in an off-the-grid hidden town in the Yukon she's had to ferret out murderers and criminals without the help of modern forensics and outsmarted even the craftiest. 



Nevada Baylor! Another amazing character from the writing duo Ilona Andrews. 



Elizabeth Best. A formidable octogenarian indeed, but I do have to say I love the whole Thursday Murder Club gang: Joyce, Ibrahim, and Ron too!



Mercy Kilpatrick. Being the daughter of strict preppers helped form Mercy into the woman she is. Her background aids her while investigating murders as an FBI agent in rural Oregon. Then there's the romance between her and Sheriff Truman I was all on board with from the beginning!



Lady Kiera Darby. She's had to rise above the abuse her late husband heaped upon her and weather the scandal after his death. She's come a long way finding her niche as an inquiry agent (investigator) and finding love. 


Sal Casillas! An impressive, passionate athlete training for her dreams, finding love along the way. 



Lady Penny Campion! A fellow animal lover. Such a sweet woman with a big heart. A little clueless and so hilarious! Her vile vegetarian, meat-substitute concoctions also had me cracking up, too!



Kristen Ashley writes the most fun heroines, but librarian Faye Goodnight has to be one of my all-time favorites. Starts out shy and a little insecure she blossoms into a strong sexy woman with backbone!


Are any of these heroines on your list?




33 comments:

  1. My heroines for this week are all female detectives so A Merciful Death caught my eye. It sounds right up my alley. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like female detectives you should definitely check out Mercy Kilpatrick in Merciful Death! She's wonderful. Thanks for stopping by my TTT. I enjoyed your list as well!

      Delete
  2. Breathe has such a pretty cover.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-character-traits-for-heroines/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list you have there! I agree about Breathe and Kulti. Although you have some fabulous heroines listed there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee! Nice to hear you enjoyed Breathe and Kulti too!

      Delete
  4. Sal! I loved her. I almost put her on my list today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I know the first 7 and have read the first 6. I have some others to read.

    Anne – Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I also love Kate and Nevada. I also loved Nevada's sister, Catalina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They're all wonderful! I enjoy all the characters Ilona Andrews writes! :)

      Delete
  7. One of my favorites is Kay Scarpetta. I hadn't thought of Elizabeth from Thursday Murder Club, but she's a great choice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love Kay Scarpetta, too! Elizabeth is a whirlwind and I just love her and the gang!

      Delete
  8. Ooh Casey would be on my list too. I need to finish that series and start the spinoff. And I've got the Darby books on my short list to start soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the series! Kiera is such a wonderful character. Hope you get to try the series at some point. :)

      Delete
  9. Mercy Thompson and Casey Duncan made my TTT list this week, too! And I also love Lady Keira Darby and Mercy Kilpatrick. Great choices. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I had done this, it would have been a lot of female detectives or women during WWII. The only ones on your list I recognized were Mercy Kilpatrick and Elizabeth Best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a lot of female detective characters I wanted to list as well, but I wanted to keep to the 10 and wanted to feature a variety. I do enjoy stories set in WWII and WWI, too!

      Delete
  11. Love so many of the ones you picked. I still need to read Breathe in that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Colorado Mountain series is my favorite by KA. Hope you enjoy it too!

      Delete
  12. You did such a good job with this. The only one on your list I knew was Sal, but I love that a spunky lady in her 80s is on there too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! I think you'd enjoy The Thursday Murder Club gang.

      Delete
  13. I've not read any of these books but I love that you've found so many women in books that you love.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/02/21/top-ten-tuesday-408/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Casey Duncan and Kiera Darby are the only two on your list that I'm familiar with. I agree that both are great heroines. Nice picks!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The first 4 would definitely be on my list. It looks like I need to try to read the rest of these books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice list. I want to read The Thursday Murder Club series and some of Kelly Armstrong's books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are all new to me but based on your descriptions, I can see why you like them so much. :)

    ReplyDelete