Thursday, October 3, 2024

Audiobook Review: The Sequel by Jean Hanff Korelitz

 

The Sequel (The Book Series #2) by Jean Hanff Korelitz
Publication Date: October 1st 2024 by Macmillan Audio
Pages: 304
Audio Book Length: 10hrs 1min
Narrator: Julia Whelan
Source: Publisher
Rating: 
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo Libro.fm |  Audible | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
You MUST read The Plot before reading The Sequel! I’ve tried to be as vague as I can while still showing how much I loved both stories. I wish I could just say: Read it, read both! I even went back and re-read quite a bit of The Plot before starting The Sequel to refresh my mind with the details. Such a good twisty plot, and bonus, you can read this one right after!
 
Loved this one even more than the first one! I wasn’t a big fan of Anna in The Plot, but then we didn’t get her side of things. Here, I could feel for her and understand her motivations as her story is revealed and getting her POV, and I was outraged in her behalf!  I liked being in Anna’s head more than Jake’s. Not sure how that reflects on my character, haha, but I liked that she didn’t wallow in her situation, just evaluated and proceeded accordingly.
 
The Sequel was thrilling! Anna gets herself into a few dangerous situations confronting the threats coming at her and I was on the edge of my seat, rooting for her every step of the way!
 
The talented Julia Whelan narrates, and her performance of Anna is perfection! Timing, emotion and all the different voices were spot on! Highly recommend the audio version!

5 Stars


Book Description:

After the “insanely readable” (Stephen King) and “perfectly told” (Malcolm Gladwell) New York Times bestseller The Plot comes Jean Hanff Korelitz’s equally captivating new novel: The Sequel.

Anna Williams-Bonner has taken care of business—that is to say, she’s taken care of her husband, bestselling novelist Jacob Finch Bonner, and laid to rest those anonymous accusations of plagiarism that so tormented him. Now she is living the contented life of a literary widow, enjoying her husband’s royalty checks in perpetuity, but for the second time in her life, a work of fiction intercedes, and this time it’s her own debut novel, The Afterword. After all, how hard can it really be to write a universally lauded bestseller?

But when Anna publishes her book and indulges in her own literary acclaim, she begins to receive excerpts of a novel she never expected to see again, a novel that should no longer exist. Something has gone wrong, and someone out there knows far too much: about her late brother, her late husband, and just possibly... about Anna herself. What does this person want, and what are they prepared to do? She has come too far, and worked too hard, to lose what she values most: the sole and uncontested right to her own story—and she is, by any standard, a master storyteller.


22 comments:

  1. Thanks for the warning about having to read the first one! I always appreciate that. I've had my eye on this book since I got it out on the shelves this past Tuesday, but hadn't done any research (since my TBR is so long at this point it will be months before I get to anything).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't love The Plot. And I really didn't like Anna in that one, or how it ended; so I'm not sure I want to read this one. But it does sound like Korelitz has done a good job with The Sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had mixed feelings about the ending of The Plot, but I thought it was suspenseful, smart and riveting! However, I loved this one! I think you'd like this one a lot more, Lark! I'd love to hear what you thought!

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to see you enjoyed this one as much as I did! I agree, the way Anna was fleshed out in this one was great, and it really made for a read that was even twistier than the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anna was far more likeable here! I was riveted to the plot and cheering her on even if she was morally gray.

      Delete
  4. Jonetta loves this too. I don't when I can fit them in but thanks for sharing. I love Julia Whelan.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you read them someday, Anne! Julia Whelan was fantastic!

      Delete
  5. I've been hearing a lot about both books and they do sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fantastic! I think it'd be good to read one right after the other.

      Delete
  6. A great testament that the follow up is strong and even better than the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was more emotionally involved with this one, but both were riveting!

      Delete
  7. Nice books, wanna read these for sure. Thanks a lot for the recommendation. Have a great day!
    Rampdiary 

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not remember the Plot, but I have seen the sequel around now

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a while since I read The Plot ... so I need to revisit that if I want to check this one out. Glad you liked it even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. I read a lot again before picking this one up just to get everything straight. Me too!

      Delete