Friday, December 12, 2014

Review: When It Rains (Rain #1) by Lisa De Jong

When It Rains (Rain #1) by Lisa De Jong
Published September 25th 2013 (first published January 1st 2013)
One night changed my life forever.

Beau Bennett has been my best friend since I can remember. He was my first crush before everything came crashing down, and now he wants more, but it's more than I can give him. Things are different now. I wish I could tell him why, but I can't.

I haven’t told anyone.

I never knew how much I really needed him until the day he left for college, and I was completely alone.

Then one day, Asher Hunt rides into town with his dark, captivating eyes and cocky grin. He doesn't care who I used to be, he's simply breathing life into what’s left. People warn me to stay away from him, but he helps me forget the pain that has held me hostage for so long; something I thought was impossible before he walked into my life.

I’ve been hurt.

I’ve been saved.

And I’ve found hope.

I thought my story was written that night, but now I know it was only a new beginning. Until one secret turns my world upside down…

Again.

My Thoughts
“You don’t live because of me. You live because you let me love you. You made the choice to breathe all on your own… I just helped you find the strength to inhale.” ~Asher

Truly emotional and heart rending!

I’ve had When It Rains on my TBR for a while now because the consistently high ratings caught my eye. However, I was hesitant to jump into this novel because of the tear-jerking reaction it’s received from many readers. It takes the right time and moment to appreciate an emotional novel such as this book.

Well, after finishing it in a few short sittings, I see why this book has brought many readers to tears. Truly an emotional story that captures your heart and doesn’t let go. It reminded me a bit of the experience I had when reading Lurlene McDaniel’s Don't Die, My Love. Very heart breaking yet hopeful.

Kate Alexander has been living in a nightmare for the past two years. After a horrible event that’s left her shattered, she’s pushed her family and friends away to retreat into the safety of her own room and bury herself in her own solitude. Beau Bennett has been her best friend since they were five, and even he can’t get through to Kate to see how he could break through her walls. When he reluctantly leaves for college and leaves Kate behind in their small town, he knows he’ll regret not trying harder to get through to her. When he leaves, Kate meets Asher Hunt and through his persistent yet gentle ways, he finds a way to get Kate to try to live life once again.

Their connection stems from the fact that they both carry a burden that weighs them down. As they begin to fall in love and share their secrets, Kate realizes that when Beau discovers she’s fallen for Asher, her best friend will be heart-broken. However, what Kate doesn’t know is that while she’s opened her heart to someone new, she’ll soon fall back into Beau’s arms when life delivers another blow.

There’s a string of events that occur in this novel that took me a bit by surprise. Even though I caught a hint or two before the twist occurred, I was still sadden by the events of this story. I really fell for Kate, Asher and Beau and I was curious how this would turn out considering the complex triangle that was created. When I typically steer away from love triangles because they are just over done, I was pleased with how Lisa De Jong refused to make this a messy and angsty romance. Very nicely crafted!

I also enjoyed the music she sprinkled throughout the story including a few of my favorite songs:
Everything by Lifehouse
Cross That Line by Joshua Radin
18th Floor Balcony by Blue October


Considered I’ve since moved on to the next story in the series, I feel it’s safe to say that Lisa De Jong managed to capture my heart and influence my emotions enough to want to continue with her journey.

My Song Choice

5 Suns




No comments:

Post a Comment