Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Review: Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore


Publication Date: September 3rd 2019 by Berkley 
Pages: 320
Source: Publisher
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo

About the book:

A stunning debut for author Evie Dunmore and her Oxford Rebels, in which a fiercely independent vicar's daughter takes on a duke in a fiery love story that threatens to upend the British social order.

England, 1879. Annabelle Archer, the brilliant but destitute daughter of a country vicar, has earned herself a place among the first cohort of female students at the renowned University of Oxford. In return for her scholarship, she must support the rising women's suffrage movement. Her charge: recruit men of influence to champion their cause. Her target: Sebastian Devereux, the cold and calculating Duke of Montgomery who steers Britain's politics at the Queen's command. Her challenge: not to give in to the powerful attraction she can't deny for the man who opposes everything she stands for.

Sebastian is appalled to find a suffragist squad has infiltrated his ducal home, but the real threat is his impossible feelings for green-eyed beauty Annabelle. He is looking for a wife of equal standing to secure the legacy he has worked so hard to rebuild, not an outspoken commoner who could never be his duchess. But he wouldn't be the greatest strategist of the Kingdom if he couldn't claim this alluring bluestocking without the promise of a ring...or could he?

Locked in a battle with rising passion and a will matching her own, Annabelle will learn just what it takes to topple a duke....

My Thoughts:
Bringing Down the Duke was sooo good! There was a delicious push and pull between Annabelle and Sebastian. They started out as enemies with opposing political views, and Sebastian was quite arrogant at first.  It was a meeting of minds with intelligent conversation, and an undercurrent of intense attraction! For as much as they were at odds at times, Sebastian was quite the knight-in-shining-armor often coming to the rescue even when it put him at risk. I fell hard for him!

Annabelle was a breath of fresh air! The kind of woman I hope I’d be in the face of such obstacles. It really was a tough time for women back then.  This was set in a time when women had few rights, really appalling when you think of it. The situation Annabelle found herself in with her cousin was infuriating, and I’m glad he had little to do with the story other than at the beginning. 

I can’t believe Bringing Down the Duke was a debut novel! While it took me a little bit to sink into the story, I was solidly glued to the pages as soon as I hit the %15 mark I didn’t want to put the story down eager to find out what happened next!  I love how everything turned out, and I can’t wait until Lucie’s story next, especially after reading the teaser at the end!


4.5 Suns


18 comments:

  1. Ahhh I've been wanting this one so badly! Glad to know it's so good! Ahhh! I can't wait to get it!
    Genesis @ Whispering Chapters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get your hands on it soon! It was sooo good, Gen! :)

      Delete
  2. YES! I loved this one too, Rachel. It was so much fun for me and I loved the push and pull as well. I'm dying for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love debut novels that blow you away! This sounds fun, I think I will add it to my pile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one caught my eye when they were offering it for review and I had already taken all that I could at the time. Bummer! I know I missed out especially the way you describe it. But, I will get a chance at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when that happens. It happened to me with A Simple Wild and Josh & Hazel. Oh well, at least we can get a library copy!

      Delete
  5. Ohh I love DUkes!
    Though I do confess that I am not a fan of these covers hitting the market now

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been seeing a lot of good buzz for this book. I don't normally go for this sort of stuff, but I think I am going to get my name of the hold list for the audio. I always like when heroines from this time period defy all the social norms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is right up your alley, then, Sam! Hope you loved it! :)

      Delete
  7. This story sounds like it was such an amazing debut! I love a good push-pull, enemies to lovers story! I love that you got a meeting of the kids/intelligent read! Anabelle and Sebastian sound like wonderful characters! Excellent Review Rachel!

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that it was a debut. Evie Dunmore has talent. Thanks, Lindy!

      Delete
  8. First, what a cute cover! I have been hearing such good things about this one. Annabelle sounds like such an easy character to pull for. It's been a long time since I read anything historical but I'm definitely interested in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good, Tanya! If you're in the mood for a historical this would be the one to go for.

      Delete