Saturday, October 27, 2012

Review: On Dublin Street by Samantha Young

On Dublin Street
On Dublin Street by Samantha Young
Published: August 31st 2012 by NAL Trade
About the book: Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare…Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well—until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he’s determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached.But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won’t be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her… down to the very soul.
My thoughts:
 
It was like someone had lassoed a rope around the two of us and was tugging and tugging, trying to draw us closer together.
Jocelyn lives in Dublin, Scotland after fleeing America on her eighteenth birthday, four years ago. She’s left nothing behind, being in a foster home since she was fourteen, her parents and little sister were killed in a tragic accident. When she came into her money at eighteen, she left and didn’t look back. Since then Jocelyn has turned her emotions off, she can’t be hurt if she doesn’t let anyone get close. She considers her college roommate of the last four years a friend, yet neither one of them shared any personal details of their past. This is all about to change when Jocelyn has to find another place to live when her roommate moves back to London. Her new roommate, Ellie, is unlike any other girl she’s met. She’s unorganized, energetic and sunny. Her positive attitude is infectious. Unfortunately, (in Jocelyn’s opinion) Braden, Ellie’s older brother is part of the package, and he wants Jocelyn.

Braden’s rich, handsome, charismatic, what’s not to like? Jocelyn is definitely attracted to him ”All I could think about was him shirtless with me wrapped around him like a tortilla.” but she’s scared to let anyone in, so she resists. I loved the delicious push and pull between these two in the beginning! Can you say SMOKING HOT sexual tension?! Knowing Jocelyn’s background and sensing her hesitation, Braden offers an arrangement between them: sex only, no strings attached. Braden never plans on honoring the “no strings attached” part though. He’s going to wiggle his way into her heart whether she likes it or not. I love how he kept breaking Jocelyn down bit by bit. Loved this quote:

I heard his footsteps quicken behind me and felt his arm come around me, his palm flat against my stomach as he pulled me back against him, my head resting on his chest. I was quickly getting used to Braden’s tactility. The man liked to touch me. All the time. I’d thought it would be harder to get accustomed to since I wasn’t really an overly affectionate person myself, but Braden didn’t really ask me whether I wanted to be hauled into his arms every five seconds. And the truth was, I didn’t really mind.

Jocelyn was a tough nut to crack for both Ellie and Braden, but she really did have issues, and a sad story that made me forgive her reluctance. I appreciated that this author had Jocelyn doing the smart thing, by going to a therapist when she starts having panic attacks, instead of burying her head in the sand and pretending like there’s no problem. There is the inevitable drama at the end, you know when you hit the 75-80% mark of these types of books, and the usual breakup or obstacle comes up. But nothing that had me pulling my hair out. I really loved Braden and how he never gave up on her. There was a sweet and caring quality to this romance that made you feel it wasn’t just about the sex, but holy heck, THE SPICE, was amazing. I just loved this story so much, I have to say it’s in my top five favorite spice reads for this year. Here’s another quote I must share with you:

”I wasn’t judging you,” he continued as though I hadn’t said anything, skimming soft, teasing kisses along my jaw to my ear, where his voice rumbled sexily, “In public, you’re Joss Butler. Cool, self-possessed. In bed, you’re Jocelyn Butler—you’re hot, babe. Uncontrolled. Needy. Sweet,” he breathed. “I like that I know that. I don’t like the fact that other men do too.”

I’ll be checking out whatever else Samantha Young has written for sure!

5 Suns
 

No comments:

Post a Comment