Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Review: Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Once Burned (Night Prince, #1)
Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost
Published June 26, 2012 by Avon
Purchase: Amazon
About the book
She's a mortal with dark powers...

After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: terrifying powers that let her channel electricity and learn a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire...

He's the Prince of Night...

Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all—but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him—a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites between them, threatening to consume them both. It will take everything that they are to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.

My Thoughts
Oh Vlad,
how I squee for thee,
let me count the ways...

Yes that was chessy but I had to do it because I have not stopped squeeing since I finished this book! I knew I would love this because Vlad is one of my favorite characters in The Night Huntress series and I was so ready to see more of this delicious vampire. What I didn't expect was for Vlad to almost dethrone Bones as my favorite vampire of all time! It is a very VERY close race between the two and I am not sure who will wind up on top after all the books are said and done.

I thought Once Burned was going to be told from Vlad's POV so imagine my shock when I read the first few paragraphs and realized this was from Leila's POV! Don't get me wrong I loved her voice it just took me a minute to adjust my thinking. So anyway the book is about Leila and her uncanny abilities to 1.Give somebody the electrical shock of their life and 2.to tell somebody's past, present, and future from just a touch from an object. She is definitely not your typical woman and that turns out to be just what Vlad needs. These 2 meet when Leila is kidnapped, she is ordered to find Vlad using her abilities or else face well her death. When she finds him she realizes that he is probably the lesser of the two evils at this point and strikes a deal to save her own life. You can imagine what happens next, angst, heat, spice, awesome dialogue, a cameo from Bones who is as hilarious as ever, and a very dramatic ending. I loved EVER SINGLE page of this book. Vlad and Leila had an awesome connection and it was really lovely to see her grow stronger while he let a little bit of his guard down to let her in.

I do not want to wait until next year for my Night Huntress world fix. I still have one book left and I am going to be greedy and read it soon and I know I will go into withdrawals right after I finish it. Frost has done it again with this series and I cannot wait to see what Vlad and Leila get into next.


 5 Suns
 

No comments:

Post a Comment