Friday, April 19, 2013

Review: Lover at Last by J.R. Ward

Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11)
Lover at Last by J.R. Ward
Published on March 26, 2013 by NAL Hardcover
Purchase: Amazon
About the book
Qhuinn, son of no one, is used to being on his own. Disavowed from his bloodline, shunned by the aristocracy, he has finally found an identity as one of the most brutal fighters in the war against the Lessening Society. But his life is not complete. Even as the prospect of having a family of his own seems to be within reach, he is empty on the inside, his heart given to another....

Blay, after years of unrequited love, has moved on from his feelings for Qhuinn. And it’s about time: The male has found his perfect match in a Chosen female, and they are going to have a young—just as Qhuinn has always wanted for himself. It’s hard to see the new couple together, but building your life around a pipe dream is just a heartbreak waiting to happen. As he’s learned firsthand.

Fate seems to have taken these vampire soldiers in different directions... but as the battle over the race’s throne intensifies, and new players on the scene in Caldwell create mortal danger for the Brotherhood, Qhuinn finally learns the true definition of courage, and two hearts who are meant to be together... finally become one.

Arlene's Thoughts:
Waiting for close to two years for this installment of Qhuay, I have to admit my expectations were pretty high so maybe the let down was inevitable. I can’t think of any other series right now that has me so completely vested all the way into an 11th installment. I consider myself an avid fan, and as such I’d like to believe I would afford my favorite author some leeway in terms of storytelling.

J.R. Ward has always managed to hook me, surprise me and often excite me. So when Qhuay’s story finally hit the shelves I couldn’t describe myself as anything short of giddy.

However, after finishing Lover at Last, I’m afraid my love affair with J.R. Ward’s series has quickly dissipated and I’m a bit saddened. I was willing to continue the journey with the Brotherhood, but after such a disappointment I’m sorry to say that Ward and I might likely part ways.

Lover at Last was without a doubt my most, I mean absolutely MOST anticipated book of the Brotherhood bunch. I love Qhuinn and Blay… together they could have been explosive, but what Ward created for them was anything but… so I’m calling foul!!

And to hear that their story isn’t over… she has more in store for them!! Really? After 700+ small font exhaustive ePages of Lover at Last, I’m suppose to accept that she didn’t tell their whole story? Well the opportunity was lost and to understand that she plans to re-visit each brother and give us more - all I get from that is she didn’t develop their story right the first time. Why would she do that to her fans? Well, the obvious reason is money, but it doesn’t make it right in the slightest.

So where did Lover at Last fall short for me?

First off, there was just too much noise in this book. I can’t describe it any better way when I see Ward shoving in secondary and tertiary characters along with plotlines that quickly distracted me from who this story should really be about. When I wanted to just read about Blay and Qhuinn, I kept stumbling upon Xcor, Assail, Sola, Benloise, Trez, iAM, Thor… too much! Just too much! 

Secondly, the lessors… I never liked their plotline to begin with, and I never will. When I find myself skimming their sections and not feeling like I’ve missed out on anything significant I call that a blatant filler. Those sections were a huge waste of time that could have been re-invested in who were suppose to be the stars of the show.

Also, I have to admit that Qhuinn and Blay’s moments felt light and not quite to their character. It bothered me how much time these two wasted. Why wasn’t Blay forthright about his relationship with Sax? Why so much time trying to understand the true relationship between Layla and Qhuinn? Talk people!! Errrr… I mean vamps… Just talk to each other!! Truly frustrating…

So what did I like? There were a couple of things…

I would have never thought that my favorite moment in this entire book would have been between Zsadist and Qhuinn. I loved that moment after Qhuinn landed the Cessna. What those two went through together and how Z reacted when it was all said and done… best moment in the entire book.

I also have to give props to Payne. She delivered an emotional moment that reinvested my hopes that it would all turn out well for Layla.

So overall, yes I’m disappointed... yes, I'm a bit irritated to learn we didn’t get the full Qhuay story... and, no I don’t plan to continue this series to see what’s next for each of the Brothers. I invested time in each one of their books and that’s quite enough. Anymore than that… there’s just too much out there calling my name right now. Truly disappointed…

Final note... I'd like to get "Don't Stop Believing" out of my head. Can we maybe go with this one instead? 
Song Choice
2.5 Suns


Crystal's Thoughts:
First let me say that I love BDB, I absolutely love the writing, the characters, the world and just everything about this series.  That being said I have to confess I am so disappointed in this installment.  Maybe I went into it with too high of expectations or maybe when it comes down to it nothing would have satisfied me I am not sure which it is, but I am so sad at the moment.

Lover at Last is Qhuinn and Blay’s story.  After several books leading up to their conclusion we readers were finally going to get their story.  Their road has not been an easy one and knew going in that I was in for an emotional ride.  What I got was very emotional, but so very different than what I was expecting.  Key things were left out of their story that I have become accustomed too with the BDB series.  The whole “Mine” concept and the bonding scent were two of the main things I so could not wait for and sadly they weren’t there.  The males in the BDB world are very aggressive and do not share so I expected some explosive scenes seeing as how both characters were male, I just don’t know what happened!  I know I keep saying I expected this and got that but I just don’t know what else to say. 

It was beautiful and romantic but unfortunately it was shoved between four other stories within these 590 pages.  I know Wards formula is typically one book per couple with a few chapters dedicated to the overall storyline, but with four other stories going on and two of them being with two somewhat new characters Qhuay’s story was cut so short and that might have been some of the problem.  Not all mind you because both characters still were not themselves.  I really don’t want to rant because I love Ward and her series, but Qhuinn and Blay deserved so much more than what they got.  They deserved to have their moment in a much more intimate setting and they deserved to have a real song if they were going to have one.  Every other character in this world has gotten their big moment, even the whole Jane ghostie situation had more in it then Qhuays. 

I know I will read the next installment, but it is only because certain things have been promised in regards to Qhuinn and Blay and yes I am not happy that I have to wait another year for more Qhuay.  Their story should have ended in this one…okay I am just going to leave it because the more I type the madder I get. 

Lover at Last was an okay book that introduced several new characters, but it was not THE story we were promised.  One of my stars is for the world that Ward has created because I do love it and the other star is for Qhuinn and Blay because we do get their story to a point.

2 Suns


1 comment:

  1. This series is awesome.....I have enjoyed every single book and awaited new ones with great anticipation.......John and Quinn have been my favorite characters and this book reads like a charm...
    San Antonio House Cleaning website

    ReplyDelete