Friday, April 5, 2013

Review: Music of the Heart by Katie Ashley

Music of the Heart (Runaway Train, #1)
 
 
Music of the Heart by Katie Ashley
Published: March 24th 2013 by Smashwords
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
 
About the book: For Abby Renard, the plan was supposed to be simple—join her brothers’ band on the last leg of their summer tour and decide if she’s finally ready for the limelight by becoming its fourth member. Of course, she never imagined stumbling onto the wrong tour bus at Rock Nation would accidentally land her in the bed of Jake Slater, the notorious womanizing lead singer of Runaway Train. When he mistakes her for one of his groupie’s, Abby quickly lets him know she sure as hell isn't in his bed on purpose.

Jake Slater never imagined the angel who fell into his bed would resist his charms by promptly kneeing him in the balls. Of course, the fact she seems like a prissy choir girl makes her anything but his type. So he is more than surprised when after betting Abby she wouldn’t last a week on their tour bus, she is more than willing to prove him wrong. But as Jake’s personal life begins to implode around him, he finds an unlikely ally in Abby. He’s never met a woman he can talk to, joke with, or most importantly make music with.

As the week starts comes to a close, neither Abby nor Jake is ready to let go. Can a sweetheart Country songstress and a bad boy of Rock N Roll actually have a future together?

My Thoughts:
I have been waiting in eager anticipation for Music of the Heart ever since I laid eyes on that delicious cover (just look at it!! *drools*)and read the description.  This was such a fun and intense read, full of emotion and ups and downs. 

Abby is about to join up with her brothers’ rock band on their tour as their new lead singer.  When a miscommunication lands her on the wrong tour bus and in the bed of Jake Slater, the lead singer of the famous band Runaway Train, Abby is shocked out her mind.   This leads to a fun bet in which Abby stays on the bus for one week.  I know, convenient, right?  But suspend reality for a bit and have some fun. 

Jake is so full of passion but I would expect nothing less of a great performer. I think it takes someone full of intense emotion to be really good at entertaining, and it just pours out of Jake.  While he did a few things at first that I thought we’re brushed aside too easily, I was able to forgive him and move on.  I couldn’t help but fall for Jake even though he had some real highs and lows.  That boy was all over the place!!:

“Yeah, you.” I lunged forward causing her to take a step back. “It’s you with those sexy as hell cowboy boots that I want digging in my ass as I f&%k you until you scream my name. And those perfect tits…” I licked my lips at the mere thought of my mouth on them. But in that pause, my cloudy thoughts veered in a different, less perverted direction. “It’s the way the dimple comes out on your cheek when you smile really big and the way you blush when I tease you.”….”It was the way your sweet, soft hands wiped away my tears, and the way your body just curved into mine when you let me hold you.  It made me feel, for just an instant, that everything really was going to be all right. No one has ever comforted me like that…except my mom.”
 
Yes, that boy gave me some whiplash!

It took me a little bit to warm to Abby. I felt she was a little too self-righteous and naïve, and a little unbelievably so, but I ended up liking her as well. That’s not to say I didn’t roll my eyes more than a few times and the corny and unrealistic things that came out of her mouth at times, but I’m going to chalk that up to inexperience.  The fact that she didn’t hold grudges, and tried to see the big picture made me like the girl.  She was all about trying to see the good in people and forgiveness, very admirable IMO. 

This was a whirlwind romance with strong feelings on both sides right from the beginning:

I’d always scoffed at the notion of love at first sight. Stuff like that didn’t happen. Sure lust at first sight, but love? Never. But now as Jake stood before me, I wondered if it could be true.

I think this was more of a wild ride than a study in real life here, and usually stories that revolve around rockers are, but who can resist?  I know I certainly can’t, lol! Usually, I like my romance to be a slow build, but this seemed to work here.  Plus, their feelings came first before anything on the physical side happened.  On that front let me just tell you, Katie Ashley knows how to write some scorching scenes! Whoa!  

This was my first Katie Ashley but it won’t be my last.  She had a talent for writing chemistry filled scenes and wicked and flirty banter!   I’m excited for the next book in the series, Ensnare My Heart, which will give us AJ’s story.  He’s the band’s Latin Romeo and I fell hard for that boy!  Gotta love a man who can dance!
 
3.5 Suns
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I got a copy of this the other day, and have been really eager to read it! Like the osund of your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you like it! It was a lot of fun and the spicy scenes were quite nice!

      Delete