Saturday, September 14, 2013

Review: Twice Tempted by Jeaniene Frost

Twice Tempted (Night Prince, #2)
Twice Tempted by Jeaniene Frost
Published on March 26th, 2013 by Avon
About the book
Dating the Prince of Darkness has its challenges...

Leila's psychic abilities have been failing her, and now she isn't sure what the future holds. If that weren't enough, her lover, Vlad, has been acting distant. Though Leila is a mere mortal, she's also a modern woman who refuses to accept the cold shoulder treatment forever–especially from the darkly handsome vampire who still won't admit that he loves her.

Like choosing between eternal love and a loveless eternity...

Soon circumstances send Leila back to the carnival circuit, where tragedy strikes. And when she finds herself in the crosshairs of a killer who may be closer than she realizes, Leila must decide who to trust– the fiery vampire who arouses her passions like no other or the tortured knight who longs to be more than a friend? With danger stalking her every step of the way, all it takes is one wrong move to damn her for eternity.
Arlene's Thoughts:
All at once, loneliness overwhelmed me. I didn’t belong in the vampire world, but thanks to my own oddities, I didn’t fit into the human one either.

Twice Tempted was a nice change of pace from the overload of contemporary and new adult I’ve been drowning in lately. I figured a change of genre was much needed seeing as I’m quickly headed toward a reading slump, so thankfully Vlad and Leila kept me entertained with their constant action and explosive energy. If I wasn’t extremely pressed for time, I could have easily breezed through this adrenaline-filled novel in a couple of sittings because the action did not quit for one moment. Pure excitement from beginning to end!

First off, I must say how much I enjoyed Leila’s character in Twice Tempted as she takes center stage in this series. As we witnessed in the first installment, she’s had her fair share of battles when it comes to her humanity and the powers she possesses that were a result of a freak accident. In this installment, Leila becomes the target of Vlad’s enemies as they try to use her powers to bring down the Night Prince. However, when she teams up with Vlad, this dynamic duo begin to uncover the plot against them and eventually their enemies are painfully exposed to the power these two can wield as a couple.

I truly enjoyed Vlad and Leila’s relationship because as much as she’s willing to sacrifice to be with him, she’s not willing to yield at all costs. Leila is adamant about what she’s willing to sacrifice and what she’s not willing to forego in order to be with him. This makes her an easy character to root for as she and Vlad face the challenges that their powers and position expose them to. (view spoiler) My biggest gripe about Frost’s couples is that the chase ends too early on in the series. Don’t get me wrong… I love the dynamic duo but a little anticipation can sometimes be fun to witness.

Overall, though, Jeaniene Frost does a great job of maintaining the authenticity of the vampire lore she integrates into her novels, but she doesn’t sacrifice her creativity with how she decides to make the story her own. I can always count on Frost when looking to deliver a paranormal adventure with a ton of power and a good dose of punch. As with my other favorite couple created by this talented author, I can’t wait to see what Leila and Vlad are faced with next when they battle their enemies in this war of power. Truly entertaining!

4 Suns
 

Crystal's Thoughts:
I love love love Jeaniene Frosts books.  They are always filled with hilarious snark, hawt vamps, kick ass heroines, and a bite your nails mystery.  Twice Tempted is no exception to this!

I loved Vlad throughout the Cat & Bones series and I have to say that I love him even more now after reading his series.  He is such a fierce and unforgiving character that you can't help but love him. Yes I realize that sounds really strange, but after you read this I guarantee you will agree.  He may be brutal and down right scary, but he does what he has to do to protect his own.  *swoon*

This book was more about Vlad and Leila coming to an agreement and neither wanting to bend. Yes we have our mystery as always but it felt like their relationship took center stage which I liked.  Basically what it boils down to is that Leila wants him to say he loves her and Vlad doesn't feel like he needs to say the words.  Things blow up as you can imagine and well things get interesting.  It was fun to see them fight with each other and I really appreciate that while yes hurtful things were said the drama wasn't too drawn out.  Frost has a wonderful way of rushing through the hard stuff and giving her readers what they want the most.

 Now I did have the baddie picked from the get go.  I don't know if it's because I have read her previous books so I know what to look for or what but I knew instantly who I needed to keep an eye out for.  It didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book though because I loved seeing the fall out much better than having a baddie reveal.  All I wish was that I could have seen more torture!

Twice Tempted is another wonderful addition to my Frost collection.  I recently found out that there will only be 1 more Cat & Bones book which I won't lie made me tear up, but I am hoping that we will Vlad to heal our broken hearts.

4 suns



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts on this book. I also loved Vlad in the awesome Night Huntress series but missed his wit in Once Burned. Because of that I wasn't in a hurry to read Twice Tempted, but with your enthusiasm I will have to check it out soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete