Monday, February 22, 2016

Review: Marrow by Tarryn Fisher


Marrow by Tarryn Fisher 
Published April 18th 2015 by Tarryn Fisher
In the Bone there is a house.

In the house there is a girl.

In the girl there is a darkness.

Margo is not like other girls. She lives in a derelict neighborhood called the Bone, in a cursed house, with her cursed mother, who hasn’t spoken to her in over two years. She lives her days feeling invisible. It’s not until she develops a friendship with her wheelchair-bound neighbor, Judah Grant, that things begin to change. When a neighborhood girl, seven-year-old Neveah Anthony, goes missing, Judah sets out to help Margo uncover what happened to her.

What Margo finds changes her, and with a new perspective on life, she’s determined to find evil and punish it–targeting rapists and child molesters, one by one.

But hunting evil is dangerous, and Margo risks losing everything, including her own soul.

My Thoughts
“…humans are built to live with pain. Weak people let their pain choke them to a slow, emotional death. Strong people use that pain… they use it as fuel.”

Well that was all sorts of twisted... I can always count on Tarryn Fisher to mess with my head and lead me into a somewhat disturbing journey that can take what at first I think is an ordinary character and make them into a monster I refuse to hate.

In this case, we meet Margo Moon who was raised in Bone Harbor in what she refers to as the eating-house. The Bone is in her marrow. It’s complacency and fear handed down from generation to generation and Margo is just one of the many people there that are stuck among killers, baby beaters, rapists and worse. When a little girl goes missing and Margo begins to uncover the horrific details of a crime in the marrow of her town, she begins to take matters into her own hands and deal out just punishment.

"I smile halfheartedly at the crescent moon. Some people see a thumbnail clipping, but I see a curved mouth. The moon is wicked, jealous of the sun. People do bad things in the dark, under the hallow gaze of the moon. It’s smiling at me now, proud of my sin. I’m not proud. I’m not anything. An eye for an eye, I tell myself. A beating for a beating."

There are so many parts of this novel that I have highlighted. Whether it was because the passage sounded poetic or Fisher simplify captivated me with her twisted brilliance, I could not put this book down! I’ll admit, I had no intention of reading Marrow, but after learning that Muslim Black has a debut appearance in this novel, I just had to check it out! Little did I know that Marrow also has a tie into Mud Vein. Tarryn Fisher is nothing short of an evil genius! It’s actually somewhat scary how she has all of these dark tales somewhat entwined with one another. To know Fisher’s imagination has no bounds is scary and exhilarating all at once!

Overall, Marrow is disturbing, captivating, dark, twisted and absolutely addictive. That seems to be what I’ve been in the mood for lately… I can’t wait to see what Fisher has in store for Muslim Black and if Margo Moon will be the dark avenger. Bring it on!
4 Suns


1 comment:

  1. Great review Arlene! I agree the connections are so twisted and I loved the language of this one. The Muslim Black book will be interesting, to say the least!!

    ReplyDelete