Saturday, February 6, 2016

Review: You (You #1) by Caroline Kepnes (Author), Santino Fontana (Narrator)

You (You #1) by Caroline Kepnes (Author), Santino Fontana (Narrator)
Published September 30th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Audio
“[A] beautifully crafted thriller that will give you chills.” (Peoplemagazine)

From debut author Caroline Kepnes comes You, one of Suspense Magazine’s Best Books of 2014, and a brilliant and terrifying novel for the social media age.

When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she’ll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight—the perfect place for a “chance” meeting.

As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck’s life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck’s perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way—even if it means murder.

A terrifying exploration of how vulnerable we all are to stalking and manipulation, debut author Caroline Kepnes delivers a razor-sharp novel for our hyper-connected digital age. You is a compulsively readable page-turner that’s being compared to Gone Girl, American Psycho, and Stephen King’s Misery. 

My Thoughts
The audio version of You by Caroline Kepnes has cemented a place on my bookshelf as the best audio of 2016. I know it’s early in the year, but this story was just THAT good, and Santino Fontana did an amazing job at bringing this thriller to life. I was horrified, captivated and thoroughly creeped out in possibly the best way ever. Not something I’ll forget anytime soon.

You by Kepnes tells a daunting tale about Joe Goldberg who works at an East Village bookstore. When Guinevere Beck walks into his shop, he immediately becomes obsessed by this aspiring writer. He begins to stalk her via social media and ultimately breaks into her home to become a part of her life. As his actions become more bold, you see Joe begin to take control of Beck’s life to such disturbing detail that he actually orchestrates a meeting and begins to remove obstacles in his path that stop him from getting close to her, even going so far as committing murder.

This book tested my moral compass in many ways. I actually found myself trying to warn Joe in my little head to be more careful! Why I didn’t want him to get caught is so beyond me!! I find stalkers scary, creepy and disturbing, but this book was so damn captivating and consuming that I found myself worrying about the little fucker. I haven't read about a stalker I was so captivated by since Edward in Twilight. Joe, Joe, Joe you twisted shit… I'll be sure to be more careful with how I interact on social media and who I engage with at a bookstore.

You by Kepnes serves a topical and life lesson purpose! It definitely goes to extreme measures to demonstrate how anyone that displays their life on social media is exposing them themselves to risk and exposure. If you post your thoughts, plans or personal details on FaceBook, Instagram, Twitter, SnapChat, you should definitely read this book!

After far as plot, pacing and purpose, You earns an overwhelming high mark in achievement. I typically don’t gravitate to suspense/thriller books, but this story had me asking myself Why NOT?

If anything drives you to this suspense/thriller book by Kepnes at minimum you have to try out the audio version narrated by Santino Fontana. He was AMAZING!! Chapter Five… Engine.. Engine… Number 9… Wow.. just wow…
5 Suns

1 comment:

  1. I've heard so much about this Joe fellow and have been meaning to read this book for so long! Glad you loved this book (and the audio). I went to IKEA last year and posted about it & my friends who'd read this book gave me a stern talking to. I have no idea why IKEA was important but apparently it's in the book. Haha!

    ReplyDelete