Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Review: Luck and Last Resorts by Sarah Grunder Ruiz

 

Luck & Last Resorts (Love, Lists & Fancy Ships #2) by Sarah Grunder Ruiz
Publication Date: August 9th 2022 by Berkley
Pages: 336
Source: Publisher & Library Audio Copy
Rating: ½
Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Goodreads

My Thoughts:
I’m not going to summarize the story because the book description (see below) does an excellent job there. I felt really torn about reading Luck and Last Resorts because I thought it would be super angsty (not my thing) and that Nina would try my patience, but I loved the first book, Love, Lists and Fancy Ships so I thought I’d give it a shot.

Nina did try my patience, and I did understand she wanted to guard herself after what her parents put her through, but still, I wanted to shake her on more than one occasion! She pushed Ollie away so many times and I really had no idea why he took this waffling from her for so long. He was an absolute sweetheart. I was glad he gave Nina an ultimatum because it pushed her to finally start to acknowledge her true feelings for him. Of course, she didn’t change completely overnight, and it was painful in parts.

I know it sounds like I didn’t enjoy the story, but I did. The story flashes back to when Nina and Ollie first meet and they started a bit playfully adversarial but grew to be friends and then inseparable. It was fun and passionate. That is until Nina screwed things up. My heart hurt for Ollie, but also for Nina, because she was depriving herself of real joy and happiness by keeping Ollie at arm’s length.

Luck and Last Resorts was an angsty, heart wrenching read, but one that I enjoyed overall.

Karissa Vacker's narration was excellent!

 3.5 Stars


Book Description:

Commitment-phobe Nina Lejeune lives by two rules:
1. Always have fun.
2. Don’t rely on anyone but yourself.
The first rule is easy; the second, she’s only broken once.

Ten years after fleeing home, Nina is the chief stewardess on the super yacht Serendipity, single by choice, and perfectly content with how life has turned out.

But Nina’s ex-coworker and old flame, Irish chef Ollie Dunne, isn’t so happy with the status quo. One year after leaving yachting, he’s returned as the Serendipity’s chef with an ultimatum: if Nina continues to deny she’s in love with him by the end of this charter season, he’ll go back to Ireland for good.

Nina and Ollie’s shared secret from their past threatens to shipwreck not only their relationship, but the entire boat. But as their connection grows amidst chaotic guests and crew drama, could there be smooth sailing in their future?


14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this a bit more than you did. It sure was an angsty book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She does sound like quite the angsty character. I'm glad it works out for her and Ollie in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was. I was happy it worked out by the end, but Ollie deserved a medal.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like I would probably like Ollie a whole lot more than Nina. It sounds like a worthwhile read overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like Nina, she just needed to get her sh*t together!

      Delete
  4. I have to be in a certain mood to read angsty books and I am not in it right now. I'm glad you enjoyed it overall, even though Nina frustrated you at times. Nice review, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hardly ever in the mood for an angsty book. I'm too impatient, lol. Thanks, Carla!

      Delete
  5. Nina sounds like a rather frustrating main character. It always bugs me when a character runs hot and cold and sends mixed signals to the love interest. I don't even care if it takes a long time for them to get together, but just don't be wishy washy about it. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed this one overall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this more than you, but I agree, Nina tried my patience. BUT, I expected it. Their shared past took me by surprise, but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was surprised by the reveal. I was expecting it too, but still it was frustrating.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad things worked out for them in the end! Cute cover on this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like one of those books that I would probably like too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds good, but then, I am not one for all that angst

    ReplyDelete