Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Review: On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

 On the Edge (The Edge, #1)
On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews
Published October 2009 by Penguin Berkely Ace
About the Book
Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between the world of the Broken (where people drive cars, shop at Wal-Mart, and magic is a fairy tale) and the Weird (where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny). Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel from one world to the next, but they never truly belong in either.

Rose thought if she practiced her magic, she could build a better life for herself. But things didn’t turn out how she planned, and now she works a minimum wage, off the books job in the Broken just to survive. Then Declan Camarine, a blueblood noble straight out of the deepest part of the Weird, comes into her life, determined to have her (and her power).

But when a terrible danger invades the Edge from the Weird, a flood of creatures hungry for magic, Declan and Rose must work together to destroy them—or they’ll devour the Edge and everyone in it.
My Thoughts:
Every time I pick up a book by Ilona Andrews I always wonder why it took me so long! On the Edge was no exception to this and I will say this is another great addition to her expanding shelf!

On the Edge is pretty complex like her other series'.  The world is very detailed and I won't lie I had to read the description twice before i fully got it.  Is this a bad thing..no not even a little.  I love her intricate worlds because they just make sense once you understand them.  They are worth reading multiple times I promise.

The story was really fun too!  I can't even begin to explain it, but just know there is a log of ass kicking, swords, wolfs, cats, hounds, and powerful fun magic throughout this story. Also adventure, love, spice, friendship, and family. It was a very well rounded book that kept me glued from beginning to end.

And of course the characters were amazing.  I fell in love with each and every character from Rose and Declan to the young boys Georgie and Jack.  Normally I don't like kiddos in my stories, but with this one they really just fit.  I don't think the story would have been as strong if they were left out.  They were young but still held their own and added a bit of comic relief that was a nice touch.  And what can I say about our main two??  They are both fierce, loyal, stubborn, and just amazing.  I loved the chemistry between the two and they just felt right for each other.  Their ending was perfect and I even laughed out loud!

The only things that bothered me about this were the mini not really there love triangle I thought might happen and the fact that this is basically a stand alone for these characters. The triangle was pretty much just in my own brain, but it did kill part of the story for me.  I didn't like that feeling and I am glad that particular relationship wasn't really pursued.  If you read this you might not even pick up on what bothered me so really it's probably just me.  The other thing is I have gotten used to Ms.Andrews stories being pretty much centered around one couple so when I found out that the next book was about two totally different characters I was a tad upset.  Yes I want to know more about William, but I want more Rose and Declan!  I am hoping we get to see them in future installments.  I don't like losing people!

So even though I am losing people I am still definitely going to read the next installment!  I know Mrs. Andrews won't let me down!

4 suns


1 comment:

  1. Great review! I love this series. I was a bit disappointed when I found out each installment has new main characters but the stories are linked so don't worry about having to say goodbye altogether. ;)

    The next book, Bayou Moon, is even better than this one - I think you will enjoy it.

    Brin @ Brin's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete