Saturday, October 10, 2015

Review: A Dark Lure by Loreth Anne White


Publication Date: July 1st 2015 by Montlake Romance
Purchase Links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble 

About the book:

Twelve years ago, Sarah Baker was abducted by the Watt Lake Killer and sexually assaulted for months before managing to escape. The killer was caught, but Sarah lost everything: her marriage, her child, and the life she loved.
Struggling with PTSD, Sarah changes her name to Olivia West and finds sanctuary working on Broken Bar Ranch. But as her scars finally begin to heal, a cop involved with her horrific case remains convinced the Watt Lake Killer is still out there. He sets a lure for the murderer, and a fresh body is discovered. Now Olivia must face the impossible—could the butcher be back, this time to finish the job?
As a frigid winter isolates the ranch, only one person can help Olivia: Cole McDonough, a writer, adventurer, and ranch heir who stirs long-dormant feelings in her. But this time, Olivia’s determination to shut out her past may destroy more than her chance at love. It could cost her her life.

My Thoughts:
A Dark Lure was a suspenseful mystery that gave me chills!

Olivia escaped a horrific situation, damaged but not completely broken.  However, her personal life fell apart and she changed her identity and re-located to a ranch where she could work and put the past behind her.  Unfortunately, the past is about to catch up with Olivia.  This time though, she has experience and people at her back.

I really admired Olivia having the strength to move on and not wallow in self-pity.  At first I didn’t understand why she was pushing some of the warning signs away and rationalizing them, but as more was revealed I totally got it.

I immediately loved Cole and his inquisitive mind.  I liked that he didn’t take things at face value. He was sexy and magnetic.  The attraction between him and Olivia was immediate and strong:

A quick smile lit her eyes, and his stomach zinged, a whirlwind of feelings surging through him—respect, admiration, compassion…a desire to protect. And just plain old desire. He wanted her. Pure and simple. It struck him bold in the face.

For obvious reasons, Olivia hadn’t felt attracted to a man in a long time, and so she was surprised to be so drawn to Cole.  The romance between Olivia and Cole was spot on and in just the right amount. 

I wanted to strangle Gage for putting Olivia in such danger!

A chill tickled over his skin. With it came a thread of fear. Could he control this? Could he keep them all safe? Or had he set something utterly reckless in motion?

Yes! Yes, you did set something “utterly reckless in motion”!

Part of the story was in the killer’s POV and he gave me the creeps! Even though I had the killer’s POV in some chapters, it was written in such a way that his identity was still a question, and I liked that I was kept in the dark, guessing. 

I thoroughly enjoyed A Dark Lure, the mystery, the uneasy vibe it evoked, and multilayered/likable characters made this story a win for me.  Loreth Anne White’s writing was beautiful and I felt like I was at this Canadian lodge right in the middle of fall.  It made me long for a cabin vacation! With a strong male and a shotgun nearby, perhaps?  Hey, you never know what could happen in secluded woods! 

I’m excited to be picking up Ms. White’s next novel soon: In the Waning Light.

4 Suns




Connect with Loreth Anne White:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads



No comments:

Post a Comment